Best evergreens for privacy hedging

Gardening question please. We would like to put in a fast growing privacy hedge in our garden. We live in 87/86. Our neighbours have a beautiful pond inthe bottom of their garden but we are both in full view so would like something super quick to grow which is evergreen. Blooms at any time of year would be a plus. Thank you

A good idea for me too @vero , with the coming of winter and no privacy leaves around my swimming pond.
Only problem is collect only from a town over 700 kms away. :roll_eyes:

Will have to copy the details and search more locally. :smiley:

Lots of things to consider. Fast growing plants tend to keep growing fast, so you are endlessly pruning them to stop them turning into monsters. Sometimes better to have a bit more patience, and save yourself a lot of work in the future. And properly planted smaller (cheaper) plants will catch up quite quickly with ones planted older. Unless of course money is no object and you can buy an instant hedge.

Will there be children? If so avoid thorns and red berries (most kids are not daft, but one might be!)

What is your soil, aspect and climate?

And what character do you want it? The link Vero provided is very suburban. Do yiu want something that will appeal more to local wildlife or just be a screen?

Of the plants on that link eleagnus x ebbingii is slow, scented and solid but you will need to wait a year or two.

Viburnum tinus and osmanthus remind me of planting round public toilets in the UK.

I quite agree with you Jane, it is

but it’s what I found when I googled that sort of plant for that sort of purpose. :slightly_smiling_face:

Jacques Briant deliver everywhere, which might be handy for @David_Spardo

We arrived last April in 16 and faced with wire. Fencing on each side but with just one neighbour. I’m guessing but I think the fence is about 100 to 150 metre long. We’ve planted about 100 metres. About one third is eleaganus one third laurel and one third red robin interspersed with some bay trees. On the other side we’ve planted privet red robin and Portuguese laurel. Last year we watered the plants well but this year they have mainly looked after themselves. So it’s been interesting to compare how they behave. The red robin and laurel both grow very fast but thin. The eleaganus is slower but very thick. In fact we planted them far too close together. We did buy two mature eleaganus costing 100 euros each for immediate privacy. By next season those costing 7 euros a pot should be 6 foot . The other good thing about eleaganus is they are totally pest free. So for privacy our vote would go for eleaganus

1 Like

Just to warn you, bay trees are thugs. You may be happy with that but after a year or few you will find not only your original trees have become literally that but they have got babies all over the garden, coming up in all sorts of odd places. Make sure you dig them out while they are small - their roots go deep very quickly.

1 Like

Thanks to the helpful advice above but I have since remembered that the banks around my pond are composed entirely of the diggings I made with the mini-digger when I was digging it. So in short, rock.

Might have to don me trunks after all, or get some potted plants. :roll_eyes:

Come to think of it we did buy some plants many years ago which arrived in good condition, but not sure if it was Briant or not. I have a feeling it was a Belgian/Flemish name

Willemse? They are big in France. There’s another Dutch sounding one, Bakker I think.

Ah, yes, I’ve come across them and are thinking they look good for plants

Yes Willemse I think, I noted at the time that it is also the name of a long now disappeared marque of lorry, originating in France, or Belgium.

Sorry Willeme and indeed French, diasppeared around 1970

I perked up when I saw this thread as I have a 3-4m break in a wall onto a road I was thinking of replacing some trees that died on (all trees of same type in different parts of the property seemed to have all.caught the same disease and died 4-5 years back. 3 of them were covering this gap in the wall which definitely needs privacy vegetation to fill the gap.

Remembering how Lombardy pines grew very fast but then were a maintanance nightmare I wondered if planting 2 rows - or mixing within the row - fastgrowing to get the quicker coverage as well as slowgrowing but not nightmare pruning and hedge cutting as soon as they have grown - would be the answer.

In UK I’d be looking at box for the permanent planting and another plant? potentially temporary to plant behind it that would grow faster. But does a box hedge thrive South of Brive, I wonder.

Not any more! Much of France has been devastated by the box moth, and box hedges require a lot of care to keep them alive now.

1 Like

We used Jaques Briant once and only once. Part of what we ordered was dead on arrival and half of the rest died shortly afterward. Won’t touch them again

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. We’ve only ordered from them 2 or 3 times but have had no problems.

We have a lot of Euonymus japonicus making our hedging with some gaps so trying to propagate from cuttings but I really dont know what I am doing. Got 3 good plants from about a 12 cuttings from last year.
Ever green and good coverage and more tolerant of the weather than conifers.

And more interesting to wildlife

2 Likes

Thank you, have I got something right in the garden? :joy:

Are you my brother?? :rofl: :rofl: