Best of Eastern France

This coming summer, I am meeting a few friends in Switzerland and driving through eastern France. I have (previously) only visited the food capital of the world, Lyon, and the beautiful medieval city of Perouges.

What other areas do you recommend and anyone with culinary insights into this area?

Thank you so much!

You could explore Jura wine - it is distinctive and can be surprising on first taste. But Arbois, Chateau Challon and L’Etoile and beautiful places - with a quick stop at Baume les Messieurs. Vin Jaune and Vin de Paille for those with deep pockets are specialties.

On the food front cheese is a major item…with a range of Comtés that are far superior to those you can generally find. Mont D’Or os delightful if you are visiting in Winter, but in summer make do with Morbier. Monica Galetti, the ex La Gavroche chef has links to the area via her sommelier husband, has some stuff on the internet about Jura food.

Otherwise it’s quite a mountainous cuisine, heavy on meat and charcuterie.

2 Likes

Great information, thank you so much!

What about beautiful views / towns / villages?

Any insights on this?

Thank you so much!!! :relaxed:

It’s a long time since I’ve been over that way but I remember Colmar and Kaysersberg in particular as being extremely pretty towns, very typical of the region. Nancy is impressive if you like Baroque. I liked Strasbourg too. Then you have Munster for cheese, Epernay and Reims for champagne. And the storks of course, nesting on the rooftops.

2 Likes

All in the Grand Est, rather than France-Conté …so useful if going to Germany, but perhaps a diversion on the way to Switzerland?

Ah I see your point.

I took that to mean, going to Switzerland, meeting some friends and then with them exploring eastern France.
But I expect you are right, the plan is to drive through eastern France on the way to Switzerland.

We normally rent a place in Neuchâtel or Vaud and use that sort of as a base camp to then go exploring from. The boulangeries are much better across the border in France anyway :blush:

Found a lovely one in Villers-Le-Lac quite by accident last time. It was awarded a Meilleur Ouvrier…absolutely divine!!!

Apologies, but I am in pedant mode tonight!! A business doesn’t get awarded a “meilleur ouvrier” but the baker competes to get the award. Not against other bakers but against a standard of perfection. Being a MOF in any craft is a considered a high honour. The roofer who replaced our roof is a MOF, amd was hugely proud of have obtained it.

I lived in Grenoble for a couple of years so I’d recommend Annecy and its lake for one night then on to Grenoble for two nights (loads to see) and then the Vercors Battle of Vercors - Wikipedia for one night.

1 Like

Yes, I am aware it pertains to the chef or artisan / master of a craft.

Does anyone know if France has a website listing awardees by location?

Thank you :pray::relaxed:

Great ideas here…would love to walk the field, too.

You’re problaly close to us. We can see Roquebrune from our terrace.

1 Like

No, stay in Switzerland and drive through eastern France and then back to Switzerland is what we normally do.

Ave you tried looking at their site which list them? Not sure if you can search by location though.

The Clunysois where we live is a gem.
the historic abbey of Cluny and the beautiful countryside around it is well worthwhile a visit.
The Maconnais wines are known to be the most improved wines in France, you will probably have hear of Pouilly Fuisse, but Vire-Clesse is also superb .
You can travel on into Burgundy country.

1 Like