Big Ben Bongs on 31st Jan - contributing? Vote Now

The crowdfunding to raise money to allow Big Ben to ring out in joyous celebration on 31st January - will you be contributing?

According to The Telegraph (so must be correct) - the quoted £500 000 is apparently 35 times what it cost to ring the same bell on New Year’s Eve:

Is it a sign of things to come, getting ripped off due to Brexit?

If the fundraising fails there is always:

Perhaps to show overwhelming support of this community - will you be contributing?

• Yes
  • No
  • I would rather be stung in the eye by a hornet

0 voters

1 Like

Already contributed! :grinning:

1 Like

Of course not.

There’s the feasibility and appropriateness of using public money for this - or rather lack of and there is the fact that it is in incredibly poor taste.

3 Likes

It does make you question the mindset of the people involved to even consider such an wasteful act.

4 Likes

Poor taste - exactly!! What a moronic idea guaranteed to help heal the rifts across the UK.

5 Likes

It’s got Dominic Cummings written all over it.

4 Likes

“The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.”

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/01/17/week-in-review-the-madness-over-big-ben-s-bongs-is-a-symbol

2 Likes

i would rather stick needles in my eyes than celebrate Brexit by contributing to this bit of Boris bs.

5 Likes

It would appear that NoShowBoJo will fail to deliver on another promise.

1 Like

Did he actually promise this or was it just another ‘bongkers’ idea? :grinning:

1 Like

What’s the point, spend the money on something more important for the country.

1 Like

Just read the donations site and the comments - rabid Nationalism in open view! Sorry to say probably representing the majority view of Europe in the UK now.

Will be interesting to read of European reactions.

PS Apparently I have been cut off from SFR directly (yet again) OK I am taking the hint!

I think it’s a ‘blip’ Norman.

Hear the tolling of the bells

Iron bells!

What a world of solemn thought their monody compels!

In the silence of the night,

How we shiver with affright

At the melancholy menace of their tone!

Edgar Allan Poe , The Bells .

3 Likes

Not the majority I would say - at least not across the UK as a whole but certainly in England where it was closer to 60:40 for leave anyway.

I think our true colours have been revealed and it is not pretty.

Boris says that he wants to heal the rifts caused by Brexit, but this appears to be totally rubbing salt in the wound.
Le’s hope that he puts his foot in mouth sooner than later in a sufficiently appalling way that he is forced to resign ignominiously.

2 Likes

Typically Johnson - empty words to fool the masses.

2 Likes

They aren’t doing the special bells now, apparently, they are doing a giant lit-up count-down instead.

1 Like

Brexit’s Big Ben Bong won’t take place now, as we all know, thankfully.

I believe Big Ben to be a national institution, belonging to the whole of the UK. For New Year and suchlike is OK, but to use it to celebrate Brexit would have been a slap in the face for those millions who opposed Brexit.

Nasty stuff!

1 Like

It’s not happening because it is not technically feasible, nor is it possible for the government to accept public money for this project (confess I didn’t dig into the reasons why).

So, once again - no matter how much Brexiteers vote for Unicorns or Bongs mere belief us not enough to render the impossible possible.

1 Like