Bird Food for the Garden

Good grief, you are certainly doing those birds proud !

Can’t match that… :upside_down_face:

I’m on an economy drive and, this winter, the birds are probably only going to get what we don’t eat. I have been known to give them homemade stuff, so I may repent. porridge oats soaked in dripping/duckfat is a firm favourite on a cold day (so it stays solid and peckable)

1 Like

Looking at the quoted prices for bird food I am quite happy to have packed a few sacks of feed. It seems an expensive hobby in France. BUT I do love to birdwatch and get quite excited when I spot an unfamiliar species coming to the feeders. Nothing so far, but have just started with sunflower seeds, will add peanuts and mixed seed once I find the feeders.
Still unpacking!

3 Likes

Just seeing if video upload works - Starlings’ Bathing Frenzy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msW8KzSRSkQ

Nope - that didn’t seem to work. Try again…

Worked for me :grinning:

That worked just fine!

On the subject of feeding wild birds, we have had an outbreak of trichomonas in our area. It has been horrible as has killed many finches, particularly greenfinches. We had a couple in our garden in the last stages so had the dilemma of watching them die or trying to catch them and kill them quickly.

So please people, even if all your wild birds look healthy do remember to CLEAN YOUR BIRD FEEDERS regularly, including the ground under them. It’s a parasite, so doesn’t live that long outside its host so washing and drying feeders does help stop the spread. We used to clean them weekly, but are now doing it daily for a while until we are sure that the outbreak has calmed down.

2 Likes

I looked it up… poor birds… I have taken your warning to heart although I use a flat slab rather than a feeder… will make a point of cleaning it each evening when it is empty ( as I only put food out in the mornings…)

Let’s keep fingers crossed for our birds, bees and everything else…

2 Likes