Bit of a trivial question re repas des anciens

No doubt we have all had our letters by now, taking us off the electoral list :cry:.

But what occurred to me this morning is does that mean older UK residents will no longer get invited to the repas des anciens? In our commune the list is based on the electoral list, so if you are not on one does that mean you donā€™t get to be on the other?

Iā€™m not eligible, and OH doesnā€™t go since he doesnā€™t eat meat so itā€™s all too complicated. But curious nonethelessā€¦

1 Like

No doubt we have all had our letters by now, taking us off the electoral list :cry:.
[/quote]

I havenā€™t, although Iā€™ve been told verbally. I have no idea how many UK citizens are on the electoral list, but I was. And itā€™s a prerequisite for the repas invitation.

Iā€™m going to ask at the Mairie if this repas privilege can be discussed at a council meeting after the mayor elections later this month.

The result (if forthcoming) of my request will be an indicator of which way the wind is going to blow post-Brexit.

1 Like

In our commune the electoral roll was the baseā€¦ but any aged person who was not on the roll, would be invited to join the fun (parcel or meal or both) . I would not expect Brits (wherever) who would have been invited last time aroundā€¦to lose outā€¦ and they certainly wonā€™t in my areaā€¦ :hugs:

1 Like

I think it is at the discretion of the mayor, so in a small village that doesnā€™t present a big administrative problem. In our village, the old priest used to design and print the menus, but when he died I got ā€œvolunteeredā€ for the job. So here it is an easy choice. No Mike - no menus!
If you live in a larger commune, they might have difficulty in identifying anciens who are not on the electoral roll.
But I guess itā€™s the principle of the thing. Spending three hours eating a 5 course meal in the middle of the day is a bit of an anachronism in a modern world where we are all being urged to consume fewer calories and cut down on the booze.

1 Like

OH did suggest heā€™d be more likely to go if the menu was vegetarian - howls of laughter all round!!! I guess itā€™ll be a few more years before it changesā€¦

Actually our Old Folk enjoy a good chat with neighbours and ā€œlong-lostā€ school friends and there is a cabaret; plus various dance sessions throughout the afternoon. (they enjoy watching others if they are not able to dance themselves) ā€¦ As the food is cooked on-site, there is plenty of time in between courses.

Alcohol is free but consumed in moderation and water is possibly imbibed in a larger volume, than the other stuffā€¦ so no-one gets drunkā€¦

Although the Old Folk get in for freeā€¦ there is always a large contingent of younger folk, who payā€¦ and they add to the wonderful atmosphere of fun and laughterā€¦ as well as showing off their dancing skills.
Everyone has a great timeā€¦

I have received my invite (already looking forward to the aperos.) I may not be able to vote now, :pouting_woman:t3: but still glad to be invited and remain actively part of my community and our events.
Nothing is gonna stop me from doing that!
invitation

1 Like

Our oldies were wartime children and are well past their dancing years. Around 25 in number at the last count, but steadily diminishing in number. So their long-lost school friends are no longer available for a good chat and most of their children have left the area in search of employment and adventure. We now have newly built houses with unrelated young families who donā€™t take much interest in us aged peasants. All a bit sad really and nothing like the jolly event that you describe.

A point well made and well taken, Mike.

Iā€™ve ā€œsucked it upā€.:yum:

Itā€™s the right thing to do, and not before time I reckon :thinking::frowning::smiley:

Have to move with the times! :hugs:

What a shame, Mike.

Our old folksā€™ meal, really is a highlight for many and not just the elderlyā€¦ everyone has such fun. We were a bit dubious about our first one (when we were youngsters and had to pay) but we enjoyed ourselves so much that we encouraged other youngsters and it has snowballed over the years.
Edit:
Incidentally, Mikeā€¦ one or two of our nonagenarians are still active enough to gently glide around the floorā€¦ and, of course, everyone claps and cheers when they doā€¦ :hugs:

Yes, weā€™ve got our invite to the public meeting/pot dā€™amitĆ© for the elections. But being addressed for a couple of hours and offered a glass of not that brilliant wine is not quite the same as the 5 course rĆ©pas dā€™anciens!

Having said that, I go to the public meeting anyway as great for the local gossip!

1 Like

Yes, sorry my invite was for a pre-election gathering and youā€™re right 'tis always good to have a catch up, especially here where we are offered whisky or ricard for aperos at all our doā€™s.
I think the more rural and small a commune, the more we tend to enjoy ourselves. :grinning:
I shall be having a baby coca, comme dā€™hab :tumbler_glass:

Due to ill health we were not able to go this year. On the following Monday two neighbours arrived with 2 hampersā€¦ Will wait and see what happens this year with interest.

That is the routine here tooā€¦ for those who donā€™t get the mealā€¦ it is a nice touch.

The hampers contain goodies to the value of the mealā€¦ so no-one is short changed.