Black Friday Sales: Savings or Scams?

1 Like

I donā€™t know how Black Friday plays out in France, but it can be both in the UK, although scam is a little harsh for just paying ā€˜normalā€™ price for things. There are usually key items that get discounted, and if one is aware of usual prices then it may be possible to get a good bargain.

Some international retailers - Thomann in Germany for example - use it as an opportunity to garner extra sales and have good offers. Iā€™m debating another guitar thanks to them.

1 Like

The Link gives advice on how to identify the ā€œbad guysā€ (scams) and ensure that one gets what one pays forā€¦ :+1:
and, as alwaysā€¦ if it seems too good to be trueā€¦ it probably isnā€™t trueā€¦ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I wish you hadnā€™t said that!! Iā€™ve been looking at a lovely hollowbody with P90s which was just out of reach (and which I really donā€™t need).

Let us know what took your fancy if you bought it!

1 Like

The Fat junior with a single stacked P90. Iā€™m still playing the Ā£35 First Act I bought as an experimental slide guitar about 4 years ago, and an upgrade would be nice. Donā€™t want to convert any of the other instruments to slide duty, and a junior is just right.

1 Like

AAArrrgghh - G.A.S.! Iā€™m infected, as we speak!

What guitar? I have a brilliant wheeze to sell my 1996 Fender Strat + Deluxe [the one with silver/gold/red Lace pickups] and get a Sire Carlton S7 and a new Yamaha Revstar Standard series with P90ā€™s. Revstar [silly name - they could have revived ā€˜Roadstarā€™, a Strat-killer of which I have, a ā€˜stored under the bedā€™ 30 year old example] There may be some change left for a hardshell case for the Revstar.

I will be on the lookout for B Stock. Better than ā€˜discountā€™ deals. You just have to wait for the one you want to go ā€˜Bā€™ stock. Retailers turning over as much as Thomann and Andertons are bound to have the one you want, all in good time.

I know the problem. When I had to sell my Fender Strat Plus [and almost everything else not nailed down] due to lack of funds, I ā€˜Plusifiedā€™ my Ibanez Roadstar s/s/s with Lace Golds and that TBX tone control that Plusā€™s have.

Then funds were back and I got another Strat +. Now I had a Stat+ and an Ibby ā€˜Strat +ā€™

3 Likes

Funnily enough, Thomann showed me that guitar. Itā€™s lovely-looking, and the build quality of my Sire MM basses makes me confident the guitar would be great (and being hollow bodies, wouldnā€™t have the slight weight problem the basses share with me :face_holding_back_tears:).

It is perfectly clear to me that the prices charged by Fender and FAR more so by Gibson are simply for the decal on the headstock. A Sire Larry Carlton H7/S7/T7 is not going to perform in any way inferior to the two great brand badges - esp Gibson whoes QC I understand has nosedived. G & L? PRS? Yamaha Pacifica? Ibanez?

I remember some old rocker saying ā€˜I could never afford a new Gibson but after our record charted they were sending them to me, freeā€™

2 Likes

And thatā€™s before you get to the Custom Shop/whatever level.

1 Like

My favourite guitars are all made in Japan: 80s standard strat, Tokai Les Paul '59 replica, Washburn A20 and Eagle. Iā€™ve owned Gibson and Heritage, but prefer Japanese.

FWIW I keep my eyes open at other times looking for good deals. A few weeks back leading up to BF Vans had a 50% offer on for all their shoes, so I got a couple of pairs for around Ā£50 (reduced twice).

1 Like

We bought our daughterā€™s cellos from them many years ago.

1 Like

Itā€™s only a bargain if itā€™s something you really need or want.
Being conned into buying something because it is said to be a bargain is not really a good idea.7

2 Likes

There is also the problem of stuff not actually being what is advertisedā€¦ or being ā€œnon-existentā€ā€¦ :roll_eyes:

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Which is why, joking apart, that sort of thing is generally illegal (though widely abused).