Blimey - Emma Raducanu - 18 year old US Open Champion

She had to play through the qualifying rounds to prove she should be allowed to play in the tournament proper , and has just won the US Open Tournament without even losing a set.

Quite Extraordinary.

7 Likes

We watched it on Channel 4 last night.
She is, as you say, quite extraordinary.
Apparently she has placed great emphasis on her physical strength, so that she can play her game.
we are opening a bottle of Cremant to salute her.
What an inspiration to young people, nay people everywhere.

2 Likes

ij was reading articles about her this morning, really disappointed that I missed it and couldn’t see a replay on the tv guide for today (UK tv). If anyone knows … ?

I felt like it is a case of a star being born and that we’ll have decades of watching her play. Good on her!

2 Likes

You may be able to watch it on catch up on Channel 4 or via Amazon Prime.

Don’t have access to catch up stuff.

Don’t use Amazon stuff :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Probably don’t have time to watch it anyway :rofl: :rofl: unless I do it while cleaning!

Doesn’t Channel 4 do a four-7 or something like that where they reshow stuff from earlier in the week on normal satellite TV?

I think Channel 4 are to be congratulated for deciding to buy it from Prime at the last minute. Apparently 9.2 million people watched it. And there’ll be those like OH who recorded it to watch today.

1 Like

Proud of our local girl, I am amazed by her talent

Who are you? Cinderella?!

I watched it on UK Channel 4 last night - unbelievable.

Noticeable today though that the UK media seem to be studiously silent about the fact that she was born in Canada to Romanian and Chinese parents - she is very much a ‘citizen of the world’. Wonder what the brexiters/xenophobes think about that?

I so agree. As indeed (to a lesser extent) is Fernandez

1 Like

Let’s just hope these people don’t see this - they would have a fit!

1 Like

An amazing achievement, great match to watch .

The fact that Joe Salisbury won the mixed and men’s doubles as well as the French Open and Wimbledon titles as well all in one year, has went largely unreported as usual.
It’s a tremendous achievement :sunglasses:, but because there isn’t a Murray involved the press weren’t interested.

Joe Salisbury and Desirae Krawczyk win mixed doubles title

1 Like

Actually, two Canadians playing, as Emma was born in Canada and has dual nationality .

They really don’t appreciate the doubles in any Slam other than Wimbledon.
Congratulations.

Trained in UK since the age of 2 though I think someone said

Ah - The Guardian at least has now spotted her multicultural identity…

Wow. The Guardian saccharine and politically correct.

Reminds me a bit of when Tiger Woods first won. I wish this young lady all the best in avoiding the agendas others will attempt to place on her.

Bloomin forriners comin over ere and winning grand slam titles

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: made me chukle! Too tired to reply to the rest but will try tomorrow!