Bloctel to put a stop to cold callers

The problem, is that the call centres have software that sends any number they enter on their system. Therefore you will see an incoming call with a 0033 (or whatever?) prefix regardless of the country that call originates in. Also most call centres have systems that dial random numbers, which if you answer, a computer screen in Senegal (or wherever?) indicates you have answered and it takes a few seconds for an operator to respond, so if you answer and no one is immediately at the other end, just hang up and they will be charged for the call for no gain. All my friends and relatives know that if their number is not on my system or they are using Skype all they have to do identify themselves when the answer machine kicks in and we will pick p the phone.

1 Like

Signed up to Bloctel on day one. They ask you to allow 30 days for the service to kick in. Still waitng for the “kick in” as so far no let up in the nuisance calls.

• List item
1 Like

I doubt it is connected with any sort of scam
 More likely it is an automatically generated call trawling systematically through a range of numbers and if it gets a hit it logs it as a possible for attention sometime in the future - it makes no difference if you answer or not; the fact the number rang out is sufficient for the hardware to register that it is a valid or potentially viable call. Alternatively, it goes into a queue for operator attention and if one is not available it drops the call.

1 Like

Does anyone know a telemarketer?
Any hints how to handle these ^%$#@! pests?
I registered with BLOCTEL a year ago so now the more regulated ones stopped calling,
but number of calls seem to increase again.

1 Like

We had a persistent caller asking for someone who (perhaps) was the previous ‘owner’ of our number.
I think we have now cracked it. We told the caller (a marketing call for sure) Je suis désolé. La personne que vous voulez est morte

Haven’t had a call from them for ages now

When we kept getting calls for the ‘windows scam’. I just got down right rude and told them to f*ck off. Other times I told them that we already had new windows fitted so didn’t need their services. :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s rare that I will answer the landline now, 90% of calls are scams or marketing. Unless I recognise the number I ignore it. Anyone who knows me will contact me via other methods.

1 Like

Ditto, in fact my landline is permanently on silent. If anyone leaves a message, the answerphone starts flashing and I pick the message up. Occasionally an automated message gets left - usually Renault-Citroen inviting me to test drive a new model, bizarrely - no idea why I’m on their hitlist. But in general cold callers don’t leave messages. Works for me.

2 Likes

Thanks Anna! Simple solutions work the best! My landline is from now on on silent!

1 Like

I too am getting more and more nuisance calls despite being on a ‘blocked line’. I cannot put the landline on silent because I have a ‘tele-alert’ alarm running through it.

If I let it go to answerphone, there is no message left and all it does is disturb someone who isn’t in the best of health.

1 Like

Can you not just unplug the phone leaving the rest of the alert alarm system up and running?

Alas no Graham, the’ phone and the alert system go together. When the alarm is sounded the 'phone then acts as a direct link to the call centre, through the 'phone and their transmiter, they can send/ relay messages. Not explaining it very well but it has been literally a life safer. :confounded:

Oh well Ann. Just a
thought.

Well thanks anyway for the thought and suggestion Graham :slight_smile:

Graham, I just tell them that they are Indian criminals and they put the 'phone down.

1 Like

If the call is computer generated it will stop after the sixth ring. Don’t answer until the seventh!

3 Likes

Here’s another way to deal with telemarketers

Did anyone have any luck with Bloctel, or anything else, to stop cold callers/telemarketers?

We’re registered with Bloctel. All I can say is it MIGHT stop some of the telemarketers, I don’t know, but most definitely not all of them :frowning:

2 Likes

There have been a number of topics on this over time a recent one here and this one which recommends using an after market call blocker from the likes of Amazon
You don’t say if you are getting these from a fixed line or mobile and which service provider so it’s deficult to be specific but FWIW most people have suggested (including me!) bloctel is useless

2 Likes

In a word, with Bloctel - no! A complete farce.

2 Likes