Boiler replacement grant

Has anyone applied for/received a grant for a new central heating system?
I’ve read that they’re available, but get lost amongst all of the forwarding links.
We’re in The Mayenne.

One of my neighbours has spent since January this year trying to get the grants available for a new boiler . He finally got an appointment last week, & to get 2k, he has to spend 15k.
This is the only case I know of, other regions may differ.

Interesting to read through this… give an idea.

https://www.prime-eco-energie.auchan.fr/?gclid=CjwKCAiAuK3vBRBOEiwA1IMhujD21F9vFYaaonqQY8gZMrUlbrO6lz9cJr9g3UpMMDnaHRkM1l18ZhoCXO4QAvD_BwE

also

Hardly reassuring to older people.

We have an elderly oil-fired boiler that serves our 1970s-ish but effective CH system, and if I had to find 15 000 € at my age (81) it would be impossible because I’ve already been told I’m well over the age at which loans are considered.

I already wear a dressing gown and scarf over my day clothes about the house, and a woolly hat, but I have chilblains on my ears already😜…

Not complaining though. The chickens seem not to be bothered and they have lots of straw to snuggle down in. They are up and foraging at sun-up, four abreast on the grass like policemen looking for clues to a crime :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken:

2 Likes

His concern was that in another 10 years there’d be yet another reason why his new boiler had become “obsolete”, & would have to be changed again…presumably, in the name of climate change, when in fact, it would just be another way of dictating the way we live.
I agree to an extent ; & am waiting 'til Spring to install my ancient Rayburn…none of this new-fangled nonsense here, my lad.

1 Like

We installed a Rayburn (480k) in UK about 15 years ago, we have just sold the house with it. It looked very pretty but I did find it frustrating to cook on as it was very slow to respond. (45 minutes to fully warm up)

I also found it quite expensive to service/repair at approx £200 per year to service and a £500 - £1000 repair every 5-6 years.

The compactness of having both boiler & cooker in a small lump was impressive.

In our house in France we now have a "normal’ cooker and I have to admit I do prefer to cook on/in it rather than the Rayburn.

1 Like

Usually the point of these schemes is to encourage you to spend more than you otherwise would have, on buying a modern eco-friendly system that ticks all the boxes. You win because you get a top performing system for less than you would have paid for the same system had there been no grant available, and it will save you money in the long term. But like Peter and Bob have said, once one reaches a certain age one starts to wonder whether one will have chance to benefit personally from all the energy savings, and would it be better to buy a cheaper and less energy efficient system just to keep the old bones warm.
Bob - nobody makes you change your boiler however obsolete it is, do they? If you install a new boiler with the help of the grant that’s an end of it, you’re not committed to regular updates and built in obsolescence like flippin’ Microsoft products. AFAIK usually the only small print you need to look out for if it says about having to pay the grant back, for instance if you sell the house within 10 years.

1 Like

My plan Mat is to have the wood powered Rayburn ticking over mostly for hot water &/or heating…rads in certain rooms would be fed by it.
Some slow cooking would be done, where specific times were not important…any skilled cooking involving deadlines would be done on the gas hob, or the electric oven…my intention being to have a plan b, c, & d.
Mostly, it’s just because I want a kettle on the stove all day.

1 Like

Or an induction hob? I just got one for the camping car and I’m turning into a big fan - quick as a blink, clean, safe, economical, what’s not to like.

2 Likes

My grievance with these schemes is that it appears to me that sooner or later folks will be obliged to change to what is considered to be the latest thing…(wood is still available ; pellets are becoming more popular…)& thus, risk being “penalised” in some way.
As I don’t like being told what to do, I shall resist, albeit passively, for as long as is humanly possible, any changes I might find inconvenient. :fist:

I think you’re reading too much into it Bob.These schemes are incentives not obligations, there’s no pressure on anyone to take them up if they don’t want. The government publicises what grants are available but it doesn’t expect everyone in France to apply for them. There wouldn’t be enough in the budget to give a grant to every household in France :open_mouth:

I realise these are offers made by the state…my views are based on my speaking to people that have made enquiries.
Of course, nowt is for nowt.

Well quite - France isn’t dishing out free handouts because it feels generous, it’s investing in achieving its carbon targets.

From what I understand, it’s only available in certain areas and only for older properties.
Due to my limited French, going further into it gets confusing.
Back in the 80’s the UK gave out grants for new roofs, repointing and sash window repairs to encourage people to buy older houses.
Thank you all for taking the time to reply :grinning:

I applied for a grant to replace the central heating boiler, I have had an interview with Energie and they have agreed to renew the boiler at a cost of 800€ to me, but I have to wait, as there is a long waiting list.

What replacement heating system have you chosen ???

We are on town gas, so it’s for a more efficient gas boiler.

Wow, thank you for your reply. Did they give you an indication of how long you may have to wait

Mick… when I investigated something similar… I was due a Grant and Credit Impot… which would have left me with just a small amount to pay… BUT… I had to undertake to pay the Full Amount (some 17k€) once the job was done and I would subsequently receive the Grant and Tax Rebate later the following year… ooops. It would have meant taking out a loan in the first instance, which put a different complexion on the whole thing. :upside_down_face:

Have you ascertained exactly what you have to pay and when… ???

(however, I am profiting from insulation in the cellar for zero € yippee)

No, just that it would be months rather than weeks