Bone density scan

I need to have a bone density scan and wondered if anybody here has had one?
What should I expect?

I have these every few years. I lie on the ā€œbedā€ in my underwearā€¦ and a machine moves gently over meā€¦ from toe to head.

Nothing uncomfortable, nor noisyā€¦ you will be fine.

Afterwards, I discuss the outcome/findings with ā€œwhoeverā€ is in chargeā€¦ and leave with my copies of the scanā€¦

I get my scan for free, but I do know that some folk payā€¦

1 Like

Thank you Stella.
Is the machine enclosed (mri type)?

No, the MRI is quite differentā€¦ (Iā€™ve had that as well for another problem).

The machine that I have is similar to this

2 Likes

Thanks again, now I feel calmer :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve had this too. Really simple, nothing to worry about at all.

2 Likes

Lilyā€¦ do you want to tell us about this, why you need oneā€¦( no problem though, if you want to keep info to yourself)

I had one in the UK about 7 years ago. Mine was just a very quick scan of a couple of bones (femur and I canā€™t remember the other ) no problems whatsoever

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit like being photocopied. A few minutes at most, totally painless and very useful to avert potential problems.

1 Like

They go over me with a ā€œfine tooth combā€ā€¦ every bone from the toes to neckā€¦ (presumably theyā€™re not worried about the density of my skull :wink:)

2 Likes

I will let you know how I get on tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why do I have an image of a naked bum sitting on a photocopier :wink:

3 Likes

If you really do have an image of a naked bum sitting on a photocopier, you should delete itā€¦:wink:

1 Like

For my first oneā€¦ I was worried I would have to be nakedā€¦ but no, I was allowed to keep my underwear onā€¦ (trying to bolster my confidence, I had chosen to wear my favourite silky M&S underwearā€¦ totally unsuitable for a French winter but ideal for Bone Density scans :grinning::hugs:)

1 Like

Mine was because a neck X-ray had shown some thining of the bone and they wanted to make sure it wasnā€™t a whole body thing

1 Like

Mine started with a broken ankleā€¦ and moved upwardsā€¦ :rofl::upside_down_face:

Maybe I need to reconsider wearing my Bridget Jones Knickers :astonished:

If you are male and think this is a uniquely female problem-think again.
1 in 5 men over 50 will have an Osteoporotic fracture.

1 Like

Chris, a male friend was diagnosed with osteoporosis. It only came to light after jarring his back whilst pallbearer at a friends funeral. He used to have ā€˜goldā€™ injections on a regular basis!

Iā€™d want to extract the gold and sell it onā€¦
Actually I think those injections are for rheumatoid arthritis- my aunt had them many years ago.