Bonfires! & Bonfires!

Hello! Does anyone know what the regulations are for this winter with regards to bonfires?
(Local maire rarely open/unhelpful & never replies to emails!)
We have a couple of dead/rotten trees that fell down in the spring and we need to get rid of them.
Many thanks
PS Why do you have to have 10 letters in the heading???

You need to complete a form… requesting permission to have a bonfire.

This request must be done at least 3 days in advance… and the Maire will send copies to the Pompiers and the Gendarmes… once they’ve agreed and signed it.

If I recall correctly… you can put more than one date ie 3 days in a row… and there will be times for when the bonfire may be alight… and general advice like never leave the fire alone… never burn on a windy day… fire must be out by 16H30… that sort of thing.

You do need to go and speak with someone at your Mairie… or if they are never open… you’ll need to find another Mairie and explain your request.

1 Like

Many thanks Stella, I’ll try & get hold of them (sigh…)
regards

Gosh, i have been having bonfires here for last 18 years, without asking anyone. Mine are tiny, compared with farmer next door. Does it depend on location. Mine are always supervised, and next to tank of 1000 litres of water. Always put out by 18.00. They are on my own field. Does same rule apply to farmers.

1 Like

must be a town rule. Around us, there are daily bonfires by farmers and those in country cottages. Interesting.

1 Like

Yes, we just burn (prudently) at will.

One of the benefits of living in the country. Could never live where I had to get permission to burn. My wood off cuts from workshop. Woodwork, need to be burnt weekly. We have to take our rubbish sacks to bins , half mile away, no collection, so we burn paper, cardboard, etc.

We used to have a bonfire, just garden stuff and cut down hedgeing about twice a year, got a visit from the Gendarmes, saying a 1,500 fine next time we had one, even my neighbour had a visit and he was warned as well

I do have mine on agricultural land outside my property, so in effect on the same land as the farmer. Secondly, it has been more than 6 months, since we last saw a Gendame in our village. Farmers, have approval, perhaps.

So who ratted you out then?

1 Like

We have to take our paper and cardboard to a collection point at the end of our lane, but we take our paper and bottles to a collection point fifteen k away when we do a shop at the supermarket.
You should not be burning paper and cardboard at all. Have you not heard of global warming?

1 Like

I think we all know about global warming. I hate to think what the farmers are burning, but they have far more fires than us. The bin at the end of our lane is emptied on weds, but full again by Friday. We take our paper, also to paper recycle bin, 10 klms away, but they are full, within 2/3 days. And not emptied for a further week. It is a problem, in rural areas, as far less provision is on offer, and everything you buy, is wrapped. We tried shedding, but still has to go somewhere.

I never have a need to burn anything, but I reckon it must be easy round here. Both my immediate neighbours burn garden rubbish and the one that does not use an incinerator guards it while it is flaming but then leaves it to smolder overnight.

We keep all our cardboard and paper and get it from all our neighbors, put it through an old farm Hammermill and mix it with borax and a 50/50 mix of aluminum sulfate and lime, bag it and use it for insulation everywhere.

I’m fascinated Colin! Do you have any pictures / web links about this?

1 Like