Bonfires

Ooh yes Nick.

Could put the slant on it as it shows how we are really integrating into the French way of life, ignoring EU regs when it suits us and that kind of thing.

Excellent -

"Ex-pats defy EU in Bonfire Night shocker"

Anyone got any better Mail style headline suggestions?

Not that I am actually suggesting we do this. Of course!

As I said before, bonfires are ILLEGAL throughout France. You can get a derogation from the Mairie in exceptional circumstances - or if you are an agriculteur. This results from an EU directive on atmospheric pollution and has been adapted and added to by the French government. It does apply to you - all areas - all year. The old rule of 1st september to 1st June has been superceded by this new regulation. Thank you Pat for the rule.

Very good Ron :D

Sounds good Catharine.

Do not refer to yourself as an old lady, they'd rescue you anyway...

I know a song about this

don't get Stuart Wilson fired up, whatever you do in da SFN MASSIVE!

Maybe we should have a MASSIVE SFN bonfire for the 5th.....preferably involving blazing hayricks, terrified cats and old ladies having to be rescued by strapping firemen....

Just think of the media coverage....

Pleeeeese don't get me started. It's a hobby in the Lot :(

Finn, I could change the date on my form but not on the copy they keep in the Mairie. I also understand that they send the information to the pompiers who have been known to put out permitted fires because the wind was too strong.

I made the mistake of asking for "un feu dans le jardin pour ma femme" once, meaning that it is my wife who likes bonfires. However the Mairie asked, in a shocked voice "Vous brullez votre femme?"

I then made matters worse by saying, "No, she is not a Joan of Arc!" They are still talking to me though.

I

Well there is lots of them going on around here infact Monday was a complete smoke out someone in the valley had a fire going smoking like an old tramp steamer completly filled the valley we had to shut the windows, that went on for most of the day then the bugger started again on Tuesday but not as bad lots of smaller fires around all week if its illegal then theres a fair few people at it

The EU may have its faults but it is most definitely not responsible for this!

As far as we are concerned, we have visited the Mairie each time we have had a bonfire (several since November 2011) and had to sign a form in duplicate. Usually we get permission for three days. Never had a problem. I assume that if the Maire gives you written permission, they will not fine you? But then I always was an optimist!

Silly Finn, just say 'roast pork' you've won!

@ Finn - Big Like :)

Will double check the notice board next time we're over, but am sure nothing was posted last week... and Madam next door and the rest of the neighbours don't seem to be knowledgeable of a ban. Actually, when we went to see the Maire before we bought the house last July (2011), OH specifically asked about smokeless zones, etc, and after Maire misunderstood OH's French and offered him a ciggie in the Mairie, that was when we got the clarity for the bonfire......

They have been banned throughout France for environmental reasons. As our Maire said as he lit his garden bonfire! "If anyone asks, it is a barbecue". Like so many other things, the ban gets ignored.

Yes Richard but he was trying to burn about 40 palettes soaked in petrol or parafin and got a big fine and suspended sentence. It was actually only a house build site and the person in question was my father's business partner. That house was not rebuilt by them, that's for sure.