Boom radio

Yes, I was an “off the Frinton coast” man myself. The DJs used to mention the twinkling lights of Frinton in a way that made it seem like the epicentre of sixties’ sophistication :slightly_smiling_face:

Oop North, we had Radio 270, moored off the Yorkshire coast. It was much nearer, so better reception. Still a breath of fresh air compared to the BBC.

I’m enjoying this thread, Peter – evokes memories (apologies to the disinterested). In my youth, there was a certain point in the evening’s alcohol journey known as “The 208 State” i.e. waxing & waning – usually the precursor to passing out . . . not me you understand!

Almost all the top DJs took part in the stock car racing at Wimbledon Stadium on a Saturday night in a DJ’s race. At their “World Championship” in Ipswich in Aug 1967, Ed Stewart was mysteriously seen jumping out of a (touring) caravan window in the deserted car park at lunch time, and hurrying off. Hmmm??

Interesting stuff John. I have an acquaintance (boss of a friend) who was somewhere in the Ronan O’Rahilly organisation (but after its Caroline heyday). He now manages in semi-retirement, a local commercial station in Scotland. He never fails on his own weekly show to acknowledge Ronan for creating and getting legitimised the world of commercial radio of which he is still a proud part.

In these halcyon days of pirate radio I was a Radio London listener, but very quickly embraced Radio 1 after the initial anger.

PeteP (aged 77.07)

PS I did electrical engineering too (before “electronics” was invented) until I was found out as being colour-blind.

1 Like

Hi Pete, yes interesting stuff indeed.
My dream was to travel the world so I worked out how I could do it whilst getting paid for thé privilège.
I went to radio college, passed my ticket and went to sea as a sparks in the merchant navy. Problem was that I had absolutely no interest in electronics which made it more tricky though the morse code etc came easy to me.

2 Likes

One thing that drives me mad is advertising and another is so called ‘pop music’
No danger of either on here

For hifi lovers the music can be recieved in flac. Ticks all our boxes and the choice of channels to suit one’s mood is perfect.

Will definitely give it a try - have been using “ACCURADIO” on line which covers not only the years 50’s,60’s, 70’s etc but also different gendres Jazz, Rock, Country etc.