Bought any Bubbly lately?

Ackermann fizz?
Do you want the polite version of the answer?

Apparently not. :stuck_out_tongue:

Saumur used to be my favourite fizzy , but since moving south into Limoux country, its Blanquette de Limoux every time for me. A shared bottle in the hot tub at 35+ degrees is just the thing :champagne::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Not so sure about the Crémant.

1 Like
1 Like

We buy small producer Champagnes from reliable cavistes.
Recent favourite - Gremillet.

I’m a cremant girl myself. Find it much richer and more complex than blanquette.

There is not much to beat than a Cremant de Bordeaux,
England has gone crazy about Prosecco,
It has taken center stage in so many peoples lives.

3 Likes

Our Cremant de Bourgogne will equal anything. We get ours from a vigneron near Lyons, so the Chardonnay is slightly more complex and then it is vinified in Burgundy.
I always took it to polo at Cowdray and our friend said she liked it better than Veuve Cliquot.

3 Likes

TBH I would rather have a good cider Never did get the love of champagne itself by friends here Something sweeter is my choice, don’t like those dry bubbles and Prosecco, well tried it at Dad’s wake in the UK and it was nasty. Spanish Cava tastes better and thats not brilliant.

1 Like

Prosecco is fine with something else in my view - great summer drink with pureed white peaches :smiley:

Not keen on Cava at all but lately we’ve been drinking Cremant de Limoux (introduced to us by an SF member!) and really like that. As far as champagne is concerned, we had some gorgeous (if not exactly budget) stuff from Lidl in their wine fair this year and quite like their Bissinger (?sp?) one which is currently on a 3 for 2

Wasn’t there a story a few years ago regarding a grateful patient who had brought a chocolate cake in for the nurses on their chemotherapy unit, only they brought one in that was laced with cannabis.

We generally go with a Cremant, or Blanquette, or even the dreaded Prosecco, there are good champagnes, of course, but it’s most overrated.

I had some Clairette de Die on Friday, that was sweet but not too sweet.

1 Like

Its generally Limoux Crémant or Blanquette for us. We have occasionally bought champagne from a small vineyard we once visited, Ariston Fils, as we really enjoyed their blanc de blanc which was gorgeous and very reasonably priced. Prices have increased quite a bit recently so we haven’t had any in about 5 years.
Never tried a Crémant de Bourgogne, so we’ll try one.

1 Like

A nice thing about French cider is the lower alcohol content too.

1 Like

We are loyal to cremant du Jura, so if going for a cremant will choose our favorite of those. But have a bottle of Boizel ready for the fêtes.

Having been in Bretagne for the past 32years I got to know and buy a lot of locally pressed cider from farmers in the vincinity of where I lived and which is lethal in the wrong hands and just as explosive as C4 if you are not careful sometimes depending on the recipe used, but once tasted, supermarket brands are like dishwater in comparison. Reckon the same could be said for those who live in Normandy where the apple isalso king. My daughter was on holiday in Oregan state the other year and went into a bar and found they were selling cider from the village where we lived (he used to supply the Elysée Palace at one time). She emailed me a photo of the menu in the american bar showing the name of the cider, talk about a small world.

I tend to choose sparkling wines by the grape variety rather than the region, though knowing what is allowed to be used where narrows down the search. I’m particularly partial to 100% chenin Crémant de Loire, but it can be made with so many other grapes that one also needs to read the fine print on the back.

Sounds like an apple-based version of a Belgian beer.

1 Like

Try and find one from one of the smaller producteurs.