Breaking news...... (eh, nose). Wife beater applies for French citizenship

bloody 'ell… how many more new threads on this topic?

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1… Boris Johnson’s dad …

You’re right Graham, but I couldn’t resist the headline… :face_with_hand_over_mouth: We were out and about when the BBC mentioned it on the news (we stream Radio 4 to the car) and we both fell about laughing, and I was driving.

Let’s hope this is a precedent…

2 Likes

unusual for the rats to return to the sinking ship :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s an old article…but oerhaps some of those illegally seeking CdS’s will heed this sentence:

“A French Interior Ministry source told the newspaper that tax residency abroad would usually block someone from being considered an habitual resident of France - something that is necessary for obtaining a carte de séjour.”

1 Like

My bank recently asked for sight of my new residency card when I receive it. This may also be a way of weeding out the numerous Brits who are living ‘under the radar’. I would imagine it’s difficult to live in France without a French bank account.

1 Like

It’s worth remembering that while it may in reality be difficult, it’s meant to be very easy. EU rules state that IBANs from any country within the area must be accepted anywhere, so there should be no issue with someone having an account at a bank in Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, or pre today, the UK. I’m sure this topic has been covered before on here but it is purely down to companies like Orange and EDF who have in the past insisted on only accepting bank accounts with an FR IBAN supposedly due to it being hardwired into their systems and unable to be changed, something that is, by my understanding completely illegal, that means we all have to have, and in almost all cases pay for, french accounts. Otherwise a nice free N26, Bunq, or any other European account should be perfectly acceptable. Of course there are practical reasons like access to branch networks, the dreaded chequebooks and such, why you might want a local account, but there should be no reason you have to have one, if only the EU would insist France stick to the rules, and in turn France insists businesses do.

@John_Scully
Lawson really is a horror isn’t he - the only reason he wouldn’t want to be legally resident here is he won’t be able to fiddle his taxes, and he wouldn’t be getting his freebies for turning up to sleep through speeches in Westminster, terrible old creep. Good riddance.

3 Likes

Feel sorry for those back in the UK, they were probably hopping the would get rid of the old creep and now they are stuck with him.

3 Likes

I wonder if, on a really hot day or otherwise prompted into a muck sweat, we would see the ‘Guiliani Effect’ - a trickle of black dye down the Lawsonian cheek?

2 Likes

Well that’s kind of interesting. I wonder whether some fonctionnaire might put him on the spot by asking how wife beating relates to equality between men and women, which is an absolute basic value of the Republic?

1 Like

haha perhaps it might depend on whether said fontionaire is male or female :wink: