Brexit (again) I hope the French don't make the language requirement reciprocal

Given that (IMO) a lot more “foreigners” speak English than English people speak a foreign language isn’t this a a bit of an own goal.

1 Like

In the article there’s no mention of retirees, nor self-employed. Totally excluded?
Hope that will not be reciprocal either.

I’m surprised that PhD seems to be the minimum degree requirement. I only have two masters degrees, engineering and MBA; no points from that.

Well, France already provides obligatory langage and culture classes for immigrants which you have to be signed off on before your cd⁸s is issued.
And it is quite difficult to get a visa for self employment or to set up a business in France.
But the UK has set the bar too high I feel.

That must be new Anna, and a jolly good idea. We didn’t have to do anything in 1981 for our CDS (which I still have) but we would have loved a free course.

My wife and I found one of the pleasures in coming to live in Grenoble was learning to speak French (in my case badly). My late wife had a BA in French and was passionate about the language, especially the linguistics. She threw herself into it and ended up speaking better French than most French people, and with a neutral accent.

This made me a bit lazy as I could always say “you explain to him Dear” when things got complicated but since she passed away I’ve tried to improve and to eradicate my schoolboy grammatical howlers.

I think it would be a great idea if you had to take french lessons on arrival, the standard of french that people have and that have lived in France many years is terrible. I was in a immobilier last week and was told it was refreshing to speak to a British person who spoke good French.
I agree the bar is set too high for people entering the UK, from the north masses of people earn 15-20 k a year.

Did you move on freedom of movement or did you go through OFII immigration procedures, visa etc? It’s a completely different process.
OFII’s immigration and integration service ensures that immigrants are equipped for life in France with basic language skills and a basic understanding of how France works - tax, healthcare etc. Whereas if you have FoM you bypass OFII completely, and it’s your responsibility to sort yourself out.

They used to have English classes here at the Université Inter-Ages but cancelled them because of lack of numbers.
When I pointed out that the name of the course would be meaningless to the average Brit, they dismissed my comment as coming from an ignorant foreigner. Of course everyone would understand what “Anglophone” was about!

There was no freedom of movement then Anna, that came in with the Maastricht treaty in '92. Going and living in France was quite exotic. I had been offered a job and myself and my girlfriend just pitched up. Looking at the CDSs now I see that I got mine immediately but she only got hers after we were married a year later. So. I guess my CDS was based on the fact that I had a job here.

An Anglophone should be a telephone which translates what you hear into English in realtime, regardless of what language the other party is speaking. Now there’s a challenge for Apple and Samsung.

4 Likes

I predict it will happen in the foreseeable future. It might even be called a scully, as in “I was scullied by some idiot in Outer Mongolia telling me I’d won billions of Universal Credits in a lottery…”

2 Likes

Anglophone should be a telephone which translates what you hear into English in realtime,

The Japanese are perfecting mobiles with this option, saw it on TV a few weeks ago. Even the Japanese public were amazed :grin:

You wouldn’t be the first to be “scullied” LoL.

Actually in 1978 I wrote a diagnostic program for disk drives which the company’s hardware engineers called Scully test, as in have you run scully test against that failing disk drive. Years later I remember going to a meeting in a client’s about an application system issue and he said “ah, so that’s where scully test comes from”. I should have patented it. I also had my rally results system pirated by another software house. When I called to complain they offered me a job! B@stards :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yes and an Anglogrinder is an power tool for dealing with leave voters.

4 Likes

No fear that you may not go down in history’s pantheon, John, alongside Newton, Watt, Ampère, Volta, Galvani and Hoover. :hugs:

1 Like

Nobody told me they were obligatory
Just got on with it undery own steam.

Bullet point 3 - " There will be no route for self-employed people coming into the UK, spelling the end to, for example, Polish plumbers or Romanian builders arriving without a job."

Where did you read that? Bullet point 5 - “The skills threshold for foreign nationals wanting to work in the UK will be lowered from degree to A-levels or their equivalent”

You don’t need a PhD if you have enough points without…
But you do get points for having one.

That is true - though I’m not quite sure where it comes in. The PhD thing is that you do not get any points for anything academic under a doctorate. So, if you have published research we’ll let you in even if you’ve only landed a job at £19k - such a generous gesture, not.

The scheme has rightly been criticised on several levels.

Like most of the rubbish that emanates from bojo, this will be watered down when reality hits. And the dreadful Patel woman won’t be in post for very much longer, reading between the lines.