Brexit going to be 'cataclysmic' for expats!

Jacob Rees Mogg- good tory???
You are right - we are living in a very different universe.

2 Likes

Iā€™m relieved a **tellurian " just turns out to be ā€˜a creature of the earthā€™ā€¦but you see that in my earlier responses further on in this siteā€¦that I often feel a little ā€˜interplanetaryā€™ when we get to these discussionsā€¦

I canā€™t apologise for my vote lodged in good faithā€¦thatā€™s democracyā€¦

4 Likes

Heā€™s rather posh (but isnā€™t that nice because for him itā€™s natural), but heā€™s a genuine guyā€¦bright articulate, knowlegable, a little eccentricā€¦whatā€™s not to like ?

I have just one reservation about him in that I found an extract on You tube where he was opposing the banking transaction tax, the ā€˜Robin Hood Taxā€™ā€¦that I am very much in favour of if it is done as presented in the great ad for it starring Bill Nighyā€¦I am thinking about emailing him to find out why he opposes itā€¦

3 Likes

Nobody has been a British subject since 1983 except for people who qualify as subjects but arenā€™t considered British enough to be citizens because they are from former overseas territories and dependencies.

1 Like

Nobody is asking you to apologise. I personally find your crusade of clutching at straws rather sad but you are perfectly entitled to your views and opinions. Just donā€™t expect my world to either agree with or be swayed by your point of view. You voted for something that I believe was misguided. Nothing I have seen, heard or read has made me change my mind. I have always looked at the big picture and an isolated UK will suffer big time.

2 Likes

Well David, Iā€™m not ā€˜crusadingā€™ or as you put itā€¦just like you expressing a point of view.
Like any new endeavour we need a positive outlook to get the best out of new opportunitiesā€¦

Catherine mentioned the word ā€˜arroganceā€™ of the UK in relation to the EUā€¦I think itā€™s the other way round ā€¦ there are some really sinister ā€˜behind the scenesā€™ stuff going in relation to vested interests and corporations & the EU ( long ago now I posted a link to this)ā€¦but most of the leavers would agree that politicians have ā€˜arrogantlyā€™ given away our sovereignty, over timeā€¦as for ā€˜clutching at strawsā€™, Iā€™ve been trying to present a bit of evidence supporting my belief that we are doing the right thing by leaving given by people with much more knowledge and expertise than you or I, from less accessible, internet sources. ā€¦
From a mainstream TV source and to all those still enthusiastic about the EU, all I can say isā€¦Did you not watch the Paxman programme ?

6 Likes

churchillā€¦
He had a shady attitude in anglo indian wars by allowing massacres of the natives whom he considered as savages.
Same for de Gaulle who did nothing to prevent french people being slaughtered by rebellious Algerians. De Gaulle even was worse to his kind.
We should debunk all the sacred cows and not slap them on all and sundry to silence our opponents.
My view on UK: A right to divorce since their trade with the US outstrips the one in Europe.However the US have consistently imposed their multinationals with minimum taxes, knocked the european banks off with fines,dragged UK into Irak wars,extended extra territorial powers, landed us with Monsanto ,criticism of European privacy law

What good coming from those people except 1944 landing? Please let me see the wonders from beyond the Atlantic and we can celebrate this coupling!

1 Like

Totally agree, Catherine.

Arrogant and condescending, are the words that come to my mind when Jacob Rees Mogg is mentioned. Someone who looks like might of peeved off the Governor of the B of England as wellā€¦ Not bad for one MP.

2 Likes

This will please you allā€¦

Looks like he could be in line for Mark Carneyā€™s jobā€¦(but I thought he was a Devonian farmer, rather than anything to do with bankingā€¦must Google him)ā€¦

The job of Gov of B of E is supposed to be non partisan.

Hopefully it should rule out this particular polictication who so far, has showed little understanding of economics ā€¦

1 Like

Hi Martin,
What do you base that on exactly ? Somebody must think that he has some aptitude in that area, otherwise they wouldnā€™t be putting his name forwardā€¦this is taken from his Wikkipedia entryā€¦

"Professional careerā€¦
Rees-Mogg worked in the City of London in the Global Emerging Markets division of Lloyd George Management before setting up his own company, Somerset Capital Management, in 2007.

and further downā€¦

.ā€œIn December 2014 Rees-Mogg was reported to the Parliamentā€™s standards watchdog for speaking in debates on tobacco, mining and oil and gas without first verbally declaring that he is founding partner and director of Somerset Capital, which has multi million-pound investments in the sectors
However, the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, Kathryn Hudson, decided that no wrong doing had been committed and so no investigation would take place.ā€

1 Like

"polictication?".ā€¦

ā€¦having a wee dram, Martinā€¦? :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: sorry, I got a bit excitedā€¦ :slight_smile: x

1 Like

Itā€™s the way he is very opinionated and too biasted to be Gov of B of England. And in my world, opinionated in the wrong way.

Did not impress me how he thought Mark Carney was working for the in campaign and did not see that he was trying to remain above it. He was sniping against Mr Carney at every opportunity. He came across very bullish and ignored the basic facts which the Mark was trying to explain.

1 Like

Hilary please tell me what will you gain from brexit?
What will UK gain from Brexit?
what will the world gain from Brexit.

Give me please some logical answers and I will agree with this "Democracy "

The sadest thing is that the commoner does not totally understand the bigger picture and they just read the numbers and journalistc blubb which appears in the media.

Just tell me how Mrs May will make improvements.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not so worried about healthcare as under Franceā€™s own rules, anyone who is legally resident here can join PUMA. Iā€™m more worried about other things like how my childrenā€™s education will be affected and whether I will still be allowed to work or start a business here under the existing rules or will I have to apply for a visa under non EU rules, which are much more strict than those for EU Citizens. I am also concerned about the level of income required to be legally resident as a non EU Citizen since itā€™s much higher than that required for an EU Citizen. If weā€™re here legally under the EU rules will we be allowed to stay and continue under those rules or will we all suddenly have to apply for titres de sejour and visas under non EU rules and perhaps not qualify to do what weā€™re already doing?

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you seem overjoyed at being the subject (property) of someone else, and that you have nationalistic pride, although it does make me wonder why you chose to leave the country you are so proud of and the monarch who owns you.

1 Like

Ah, those who ā€œwonderā€ (read ā€œcriticiseā€, perhaps?!) at the actions of
those whom they do not know, have never met, and are unlikely ever to
meet! In my book, that comes under the general heading of ā€œarroganceā€. I
have extremely good reasons for now living in France - but they are, quite
frankly, none of your business!

Kind regards!

C.Brian Ross (Rev)
*My 2nd book, "*Foundations of the Faith"
, is now available as a Kindle e-book at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XTAE98C?Version=1&entries=0
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XTAE98C?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

My book, ā€œGreat Words of the Faithā€, is* still available as a Kindle
e-book
at *https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW

It may be helpful (if you havenā€™t got a Kindle!) to access

*Check out my blog - *http://crazyrev.blogspot.com
http://crazyrev.blogspot.com/

*shā€™alu shalom yerushalayim. *(Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.)

Whatā€™s PUMA Debra? Iā€™ve never heard of it. :confused:

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/droits-et-demarches/la-protection-universelle-maladie_loire-atlantique.php

1 Like