Brexit maths

I am also happy to delay Brexit - indefinitely if possible, failing that just scrap the whole nonsense.

People jobs and houses are far more important than the mistaken beliefs regarding sovereignty etc which amount to absolutely nothing.

The awkward question to Brexiteers is always “what will you be able to do after Brexit that you can’t do now?”

4 Likes

There are 2 sides to each story, I’m like the rest of the people here who live in France, so don’t want to loose freedom of movement, and don’t want the hassle of applying fir carte séjour, and hold ups,
But there are so many things wrong with the EU too, they don’t do anything to tackle the plastic problem, the pesticides, blocked a total ivory ban, ignore war crimes in Israel, Yemen, and it’s all set up fir the few and Germany who basically controls the EU, and had a unfair advantage when the Euro was set up, devaluing their currency which had the effect of making the southern country’s uncompetitive thus making mass unemployment.
What can we do outside the EU, well save money, but would have less growth in the early years, trade deals around the world won’t make that much difference but they will be on different terms as the EU is a protectionist society, and doesn’t like competition to the companies here.
So I edge towards being a britexiter but like everyone else on this site you look fir what you personally gain or loose from the situation.

Make sure you exchange your UK driving licence for a European one before 29 March matey.

It’s things like this, wanting total control by Brussels that make members want to leave,

Some members of some members.

We are hoping we won’t have to work, if at all possible so hopefully that won’t be an issue. And if we have to do lots of form filling etc well so be it we will do what we have to do to enable us to live there. I think it’s looking more and more likely at the moment that Brexit may not happen, so I’m not going to worry too much at the moment.

Mr Corbyn is pushing for his general election :ballot_box: however he may want to reflect on the latest opinion polls published at lunchtime today before he does. It puts the Conservatives very surprisingly 6 points ahead, which would give May back her majority and some! That is very surprising given the the infighting and melt down in the May government, I think politics in the UK are going to be fundamentally changed for decades, whatever happens in the next few weeks. And whatever the outcome of Brexit the UK as a whole will continue to argue and debate it for years ahead.

Hello Brian

Frankly you and your partner have no need to worry.

Whether Brexit goes ahead as soft, hard or whatever, nothing will change for you. You will still be able to go ahead with your plans regardless. There may be some changes in applying, when you are ready , with form filling etc; but basically for you and your OH things will be OK.

Obviously for those of a younger generation who are thinking to move here and work its a different ball game.

There is so much scare mongering, so difficult for those of us who actually live here with a small income, but at the end of the day I made the choice to live here before the’ open market’, it has worked thus far, not without some difficulties. However, I for one, would rather live here with my very small income than think of years ahead in the UK !
Tommorow is another day ! :hugs:

It is a sad indictment of the current state of the Labour Party - that it is actually polling behind the party which brought us Brexit and all its attendant acrimony.

In any case Corbyn’s “grand plan” is to renegotiate the deal - when the EU have been very clear that is not going to happen, at least not without significant shifts in the UK “Red Lines”.

The trouble is Corbyn is still at he “Cake & Eat it” stage of enlightenment regarding Brexit.

1 Like

I think Labour is 3 points ahead in the polls…

The latest yougov/Times poll out today puts the Tories 6 points ahead which is beyond crazy.

But the Tories are so toxic it should be 30 points.

Paul you posted is from November see below which is today.

Absurd ain’t it!

Yes sorry I made the error of assuming Wikipedia was up to date!

1 Like

It is totally absurd! They should be trouncing the Government in the current situation. I truly cannot see what the end result is or should be. There is no one solution for which there is a consensus for a way forward. No one solution meets the need of all or indeed a majority, given the deal that has been struck. The only one thing this whole debacle has achieved may be to of put off any other country from asking it’s citizens if they wish to leave the EU!

One thing’s certain, nothing will be decided this week despite the UK media’s hysteria. This is how one betting company sees the possible outcomes -

The bookies don’t often get it wrong.

Unfortunately the default is to leave with no deal unless parliament gets its head round some affermative course of action, and there is very little time for that to happen.

Given that May’s deal is unlikely to pass the house I suspect that an extension of the A50 period will be on the cards - though in, and of, itself that does not provide a solution - just a little more breathing space.

An Article 50 extension would mean the UK participating in the European Elections in May which would not go down well in some parts of the UK.

Agreed.

It is a recognised difficulty - one suggestion is that the UK does not hold elections for MEPs in May but (assuming an A50 extension is necessarily a temporary thing) continues with its current set of MEPs until things are sorted.

How much traction this has with the EU I do not know.