Brexit vote cancelled?

Actually, I bought property here before the EU ever existed as such, and YES I did have to ask permission to do so and provide a considerable amount of paperwork in order to obtain it. I didn’t need to ask permission to take up permanent residence some years later, as by that time the rules had changed, though not by my asking. (I had voted against joining the EU in the previous referendum.) Had I needed to ask permission to have become permanently resident then of course I would have done so.
I think it is wrong that people from some countries have freedom of movement and others do not. Is this not blatant discrimination on the grounds of nationality ?

Yes, I thought that you had illustrated very well the point that I had previously made about the EU controlling VAT rates to the detriment, on some occasions, of the wishes of member states.

That is interesting - I didn’t know that.

“UK should remain an independent country which governs itself from London”

Some might say that constituent parts of the UK have no need to be governed from London, and that they might be better off independent. Happier and full of sovereign authority, escaping from a union which imposes all sorts of alien rubbish, you know the arguments by now.

2 Likes

London! It gets worse.

2 Likes

Q: How do you know when Theresa May is lying
A: She is moving her lips

1 Like

Yes, I would agree with you on that point Veronique. Everyone has the right to self-determination.

If I were her I’d stop now as she simply isn’t going to get anything further from the EU. Put the deal to a vote in parliament and when it gets slaughtered let the voting public decide.

1 Like

I think that the only really realistic thing to do is to withdraw Article 50.
If there was another Leave win, we would be in exactly the same place as we are now.
We do live in a Parliamentary democracy and it is time to show that.
I know I will probably get people saying that Cameron promised it would be definitive, but there have been many other promises by politicians which have been ignored as conditions have changed.

Now you’re scraping the barrel.

No, facing reality.
The Irish border was not one of the subjects discussed throughout the Referendum campaign, although I foresaw troubles over Gibralter.
Parliament will not accept No Deal and the EU cannot provide the legal guarantees demanded over the backstop.
We are in an impasse and TM is trying to get her deal, which she knows Parliament will not accept, through by means of running out of time.

Article 50 will have to be withdrawn or extended in order for a second referendum to take place but it’s not right to cancel Brexit completely IMO.

On the very rare occasion that one of my “special” dishes has not come up to expectation… I have added herbs… spices… a bit of this… a bit of that… and even a bit of the other…in an attempt to make it edible…

However, sometimes it has been necessary to admit defeat… to chuck the whole thing away and start again… much to the relief of all who had been waiting anxiously, sniffing the air tentatively…wondering just what they were expected to consume… :roll_eyes::thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

5 Likes

The problem is that if we start again, the main problem cannot be chucked in the poubelle.
I suppose that if there were to be another Referendum Vote Leave’s expenses would be scrutinised minutely.
Cambridge Analytica is not now available to try and change voters’ minds by the back door and one would hope that now the sheer impossibility of reaching an acceptable conclusion would become apparent.
Another thing that has changed since the last Referendum is Trump’s Trade War.
America first is not likely to produce a good outcome for UK trade.
Better stick to a larger trade grouping which has more clout.

1 Like

There is no way I will chew something I detest, let alone swallow it… I would discretely tuck the offending morsel in my hanky for disposal, later… and continuing to smile at my fellow diners…:relaxed::relaxed:

The problem is that in this case the fellow diners would jump off the cliff rather than use a hanky.

1 Like

Well, they won’t be invited back… (don’t they know they are cutting their own throats… ???)

I fear the fellow diners would whack you on the head with the serving dish, throw the contents all over the floor and set fire to the kitchen.

3 Likes

Before realising that there was now nothing left to eat…

2 Likes

If we start again… we can thoroughly checkout the ingredients for freshness and flavour and ensure there are no maggots/mould/nasties hiding inside… :thinking: