Brexit Vote, what next!

The X-Trail has always been made solely in Japan so maybe it’s not so much of a surprise.

1 Like

Apparently the X Trail engines are built in France

A few.
It was a large majority.

I had an X-trail once, probably the most boring car I’ve ever had! Engine sounded like a bag of spanners.

2 Likes

Where is your evidence that “sovereignty” was important to the average person who eventually voted leave before the Leave campaign told them how important it was? Say in early 2015.

Come to that where’s your evidence that those who claimed it was important simply wanted the foreigners out?

How on earth is Jane ever going to be able to answer that.

I would imagine it is what she thinks.

2 Likes

Not sure about that Peter, the Qashqai certainly has a Renault engine.

I suppose no-one can really answer it.

It is, of course, true that anti-EU feeling did not pop into existence solely because of the Leave campaign - even during our most Europhile periods there has been a steady 30-35% against membership but none of the poll data gives insight into people’s reasons. I suspect that a lot of people, even if they felt the UK should leave, simply did not think about it all that much (because the average person does not go deeply into politics and political analysis).

1 Like

I don’t think I will share this feeling!

I just said that it was a large majority that voted to leave and I find it hard to understand why people would vote to put their jobs at risk.

Yep - 61% of the electorate in Sunderland voted for Brexit - be careful what you wish for… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (Nissan)

OK

My point was that people did not think they were voting to be worse off and lose their job.

2 Likes

on second thoughts, the blame-game will kick of immediately, Farage and BJ will blame TM & party that they did not exit as BJ&F suggested. No-cake-exit …

1 Like

You can see it already - as Brexit will have been implemented by a Remainer - this will be the reason for it being bad therefore blame the implementation and not the unachievable hunt for unicorns.

2 Likes

Yep

'cos he did such a good job of “making Brussels blink” when he was in post.

2 Likes

Even if we had made the negotiating team consist of JRM, BJ and Farage there would have been a narrative of how the EU were “punishing” us. It will never be their fault in their eyes.

2 Likes

This on is a bit worrying - Liam Fox suggesting that, in the case of no-deal, we simply slash import tariffs to zero.

I wonder whether, in the final analysis. we will determine whether the destruction of the country was due to malice or incompetence?

1 Like

Add Matt’s no border controls post (UK ports to wave through EU goods without checks after no-deal Brexit, HMRC says) and it all starts to make sense.

[Edit] Have you read Britannia Unchained https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Unchained ?[/edit]

Quote from Donald Tusk this morning

“By the way, I have been wondering what the special place in hell looks like for those who promoted Brexit, without even a sketch of a plan how to [deliver it] safely”

1 Like

Varadkar’s comment immediately afterwards was prophetic.

I confess that what I am wondering right now is, when the penny drops, as surely it must, where the anger of all those who voted Leave will be directed. The shattering of 17 million people’s cognitive dissonance upon hard impact with reality could be a dangerous phenomenon.