Brexit Vote, what next!

No mobile signal here, so we use WhatsApp for free mobile calls/messaging. I think it’s great😎

I couldn’t agree more.
Pampered bigots who have used lies, illegal spending and questionable methods, eg Cambridge Analytica to ensure a win.
Our Referendum was used as a practice run for the US Presidential Election and they have the Mueller Enquiry.
What do we have? These Leave and Be Leave people have been referred to the NCA, Why aren’t they giving this the ultimate priority?
We need to know just what they were up to and have them publicly exposed and tried.
Would it be too much to suggest that the Home Office has been telling them to drag their heels on this one?
I think not and we call ourselves a democracy.

Audience member, Question Time Nov 2016

You really couldn’t make it up.

Incredible.
People voted Leave because “We won the War”.
Total idiots who should have their vote taken away from them.

1 Like

It is ironic, EU started as a peace project, looks like people do not want peace. hmpf

1 Like

Perhaps that’s because they’ve never experienced war except on their XBox or on Netflix. War is what happens to other people, mainly foreigners.

An interesting report in The Guardian

1 Like

That is rather a sweeping generalisation Tim… I use facebook a lot to keep in touch with far-flung family and friends. Does that make ME a loser and a saddo??? I wont wait for your apology as I dont know you personally and I doubt I ever will.

Carl, the emoji at the end signified that the statement was meant as a bit of ironic fun as forums are a form of social media ergo that makes ME a loser and a saddo. On a serious note I do think people spend far too much time on social media to the detriment of normal interaction.

1 Like

Sensible idea and gets TM off the hook, however there are many hoops to go through first - has to be chosen by the speaker, Labour have to back a second ref and more crucially it has to be binding if it’s successful.

I think that this is the only way forward.

I’d counter that with the young Remainers who voted to stay as they had heard, from LadBible apparently, that Nandos would be closing because every chicken would need its own passport. That’s the only thing that mattered to them! Also there’s a few youngsters who think the EU created the NHS … where’s their history knowledge? Every side of the Brexit opinion had its idiots. But I wouldn’t take their vote away from them, Jane, that’s drastic. Even idiots have a right to vote.

1 Like

Idiots (stricto sensu) aren’t actually allowed to vote, you have to have capacity.

"The following groups are barred from voting:

Members of the House of Lords have no right to vote in Parliamentary elections (although their names appear on the electoral roll, and they are entitled to vote in local elections); Convicted prisoners – notwithstanding repeated European Court of Human Rights rulings that this disqualification is a violation of prisoners’ rights; anybody who has been found guilty of corruption in the past five years; people with a mental illness or disability that prevents them from making a reasoned judgement. (To clarify this last disqualification: under the 1918 Representation of the People Act, you cannot register as an elector if you are “an idiot; a lunatic… [or] an imbecile who is not compos mentis” – but you may register and vote during a “lucid interval”.)"

I have sympathy for the idea there should be some sort of standard test of understanding people have to succeed in before being allowed to vote etc but it would be dodgy from a human rights point of view.

1 Like

So imbeciles aren’t allowed to vote, but can and do get elected few

Talking about imbeciles, there are calls to sack Grayling today. Sorry, can’t re-find the link on bbc website

I agree with you , Vero, in the main. But who decides the ‘test of understanding’ and what is ‘reasoned judgement’?. Some points of view are so wildly different to the norm that they could be considered unacceptable - witness someone saying the earth is round in, say, the 12th Century - so, despite there being some extreme viewpoints that alarm me, I still think the right to vote should be open to all. One might not like the result of the vote, but at least everyone had a chance to put their views.

Peter, your link doesn’t work … do you have another please? Thanks.

Actually even within the UK now there are considerable differences in voting entitlement, eg in Scotland the voting age for elections pertaining only to Scotland is 16.

that’s interesting, thanks for the link. But I think we can both agree there’s misinformation on both sides …

What positive EU-generated misinformation has the UK public been subjected to, Sandy?

1 Like

that’s a good question, perhaps ‘misinformation’ is the wrong word then … maybe ‘misinformed’ may be better. I want to make the point that Jane’s statement that “people voted leave because ‘we won the war’” and who are “total idiots”, is balanced by my statement that “young Remainers who voted to stay as they had heard, from LadBible apparently, that Nandos would be closing because every chicken would need its own passport”. And both groups may well be idiots, but they’re entitled to their vote.

1 Like