Brexit Vote, what next!

I agree with you Peter, no real reporting. But some people get their view of the world from there, in the same way that others do from ‘The Sun’ or ‘The Guardian’ or even what their favourite telly celebrity spouts without checking facts or even bothering to look elsewhere for a less biased point of view or alternative opinion.

2 Likes

‘Every chicken to have its own passport…’

I am all in favour of this. My girls have been clucking to have their own passports for some time. “If dogs and cats can have passports, why not us?” they cluck. “We are at least as intelligent, and more productive. We earn our keep, unlike cats and dogs who are, to be frank, parasites, and emotional blackmailers.”

They also want to vote. I understand they are already in contact with the Gilets Jaunes in La Manche. Mine are yellow already, although they were white when hatched. George Orwell was in error in his 1984 predictions of a mammalian take over of human society. He overlooked the significance of chickens, poor fool.

PS My mind is not idle. I have spent the morning waxing floors, washing net curtains, and hoovering the inside of the car in readiness for the return home of la patronne on Tuesday after a month of being congée in UK. The chicken comment was conceived over a 15 minute coffee break in the kitchen.

4 Likes

You’re clucking mad Peter…

1 Like

Pretty good from an ‘unexpected’ source… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Apologies if previously posted

5 Likes

More “What next”.

What is next is that we will continue to lag behind the rest of the world as we have been since 2016 - it will just accelerate; quickly if there is “no deal”, more slowly if we go with May’s deal.

It’s déjà vu all over again. Government defeated in meaningless vote, but nothing that would actually allow sanity to prevail passed either.

2 Likes

Is this the next (only) thing on the table?

Not sure it is “on the table”, it’s “around” but doesn’t contain any ideas not already rejected by the EU

We’re at the point in negotiations where compromise is needed. Compromise means revisiting the features you might already have rejected maybe?

May’s defeat tonight was slim - I think she knows what to do next.

She needs to face reality.
Both she and Corbyn.
They both have people in their parties who have been loyal but who will not tolerate No Deal.
The EU who have been telling her that they will not re-open talks on the Withdrawal Agreement have more power to their elbow now and can really now refuse to talk any more.
Parliament will not accept No Deal.

Time to put her deal to a referendum.

EU is not about power its about peace. Peace is encouraged through trade and prosperity.

2 Likes

Please can you tell me how ‘no-deal’ can be stopped.

Some heads need to be knocked together - surely someone, somewhere in “power/parliament” has enough sense to know that the UK is heading for a catastrophe.
To be honest, I’ve given up worrying about the future, there’s bugger all I can do about it and the sooner it’s all over the better, which ever way “it” goes.

We will deal with it :thinking:

2 Likes

Agree Mark, just want an end to all the uncertantity and scaremongering. :dizzy_face:

Only by parliament coming together with consensus over some path forward, any  path forward that is not the cliff edge.

If they fail to do that, then by automatic action of law already passed both in the UK and the EU, we cease to be a member of the EU on the 29th of March at 11pm.

That means no transition period - beyond the basic “preventing everything imploding” measures that the EU propose and falling back to WTO terms for any trading. Brexit supporters would say no payment of £39 billion either but, as this refers to funding to which the UK has already committed itself, I would expect that the EU would either a) make it clear any future negotiations would be contingent on us coughing up or b) take us through the international courts to force us to do so.

In the meantime - commentary on today’s clusterfuck:

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/02/14/may-s-latest-brexit-defeat-the-edifice-of-nonsense-comes-tum

Yes it is.
That is what Jacques Delors had in mind.
Power to soneone’s elbow is a phrase showing that they have an advantage, which they now have after TM’s promise to get her Deal through Parliament has come to naught.

By Parliament accepting an amendment that will stop UK from leaving with No Deal.
There is growing concern and coming together from both sides of the House to avoid No Deal.
The House of Lords is also intending to prevent No Deal.

I think it’s more basic than that, about 50/60 MP’s from both sides are now controlling the Brexit debate and preventing progress.