Brexit Vote, what next!

Afternoon Mandy Sorry, this is for 18-24 year olds. I want to see 18-20 year old stats.

Did no one watch Question time last week? The German Comedian Henning Wehn asked the audience if they could vote again would they vote differently. Out of an audience of 100 4 people put there hands up. At my work the its roughly the same.

I think it’s fairly clear that the trend is that the younger the voter the more likely they are to vote to remain.

I just did a google search for the numbers so you could do the same if you wish.

1 Like

If someone is going to make statements like “let us give those 2 million voters who have turned 18 since the referendum a say” i want to see evidence to show why that would make a difference. My daughter is now 19 and in her 2nd year of uni, I talk to her and her friends about politics and Brexit and to be honest they are quite bored of politics.

As the Brexit Vote affects every single British person… living in UK or elsewhere… how about letting every single British person (of voting age) actually VOTE… :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Unfortunately years of peace and relative prosperity has given us a generation of politicians who are not terribly competent when the chips are down and a younger generation who do not see much differentiation between the parties, nor much engagement wit their concerns - so wind up disinterested in politics.

Though, to be honest, I’d rather have stability and prosperity and a political class who know just enough not to fiddle with the controls too much than the alternatives.

I have never been in favour of a 2nd referendum (except perhaps as a least worst option) - all the first one proved is how futile it is to condense complex issues to a single black and white question to put to a plebiscite - and how poorly equipped the populace are to vote on the issue.

Er, everyone who is normally qualified to vote was allowed to vote in the referendum - by definition “voting age” is 18+ and the 15 year rule for expats was well established.

If any second referendum sticks to the binary formula then my gut feeling is that there will be a low turnout and a simialr result.

I’m fed up with having my life (possibly) turned upside down by Voters in a Referendum in which I was not allowed to Vote…

Sadly, I relied on the government to make sense of the situation, instead they went with “the will of the people”… and I am the loser (like so very many).

Why do so many of us have to stand by… unable to do anything… while plonkers wreck things…

1 Like

Maybe they are tired of being “talked to”

2 Likes

You miss my point… if the Vote affects us all… we should ALL be allowed to Vote… never mind 15 years… that 15 years does not safeguard us from the blasted chaos that has resulted since the Referendum

4 Likes

With the greatest of respect Stella we did that on the 23rd June 2016 it was the largest turn out by the electorate in living memory.

Is it not obvious why it would make a difference?! You would have to have been living under a stone for the last few years to not know that younger people are more likely to vote to remain in the EU. A 30 second google search for the statistics is all you need.

1 Like

Torre… you also seem to miss the point… that a Referendum was taken… which would affect people who were denied a Vote…

If they had intended that 15- 20 years in an EU country would let such folk retain EU status… all well and good… but NO… UK voted and the 15+ years folk had no chance to Vote… very wrong in my book.

Yes - sorry I should have made it clear that I agree with you on the 15 year rule, I was just pointing out that the Referendum simply followed established rules on eligibility.

There are other disenfranchised groups - 16&17 year olds is one (although I do have reservations about allowing that group to vote), but also EU nationals living in the UK should have had a vote as well IMO since they are clearly a group which would be affected by the result (as, indeed, has transpired to be the case).

Sorry Mandy, What i am aware of is Left wing media and some people that voted remain keep telling us what youth would have voted remain, in my life i don’t see it. That is why i asked for the evidence not to be told to google it.

I gave you the best evidence there is available. As I said before, and you don’t seem to want to hear, the younger the voter the more likely they are to vote remain.

You can be persuaded by the evidence or not. I don’t really care. Bored now.

4 Likes

I am not missing any point, who was denied a vote? If you where 18 on the 23rd june 2016 and eligible you could vote.

1 Like

You are missing the point about all those who have not lived in UK for some 15/20+ years… who were not allowed to Vote… and when Brexit happens… such folk (certainly in France) will not be allowed to Vote in anything at all…

Before Brexit, I was able to Vote in French Local Elections and the European Elections… after Brexit… big fat nothing…

1 Like

I had to laugh Mandy…I just read that, & in my head I heard my youngest niece saying it…she unfortunately sounds remarkably like Janet Street-Porter…still can’t have everything

1 Like