Brexit Vote, what next!

Carl I am so sorry to hear about this. It is shameful.

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely disgraceful and sadly your wife is one of many that no doubt receive abuse.
On a lighter note my french registered car received a parking ticket in Tunbridge Wells a couple of days ago(I’d paid). Now I’m not saying the enforcement officer was definitely a leaver but…

1 Like

Don’t apologise, Carl - you are being perfectly reasonable.

But here’s a thought - is Brexit the cause or were they always arseholes?

I fully appreciate this is on a survive France forum and i am sad that your wife was abused by some moron. In purchasing my holiday home also cost me £10000 more to buy as a result of poor exchange rate. But how sad that you and others on here despise leave voters the name calling and sometimes abuse anyone would think i was a Nazi

1 Like

Should of said hardening not gardening sorry I’m not blaming Europe in the least I think they should harden their stance towards our MP’s to make them realise the real options I fully support them only providing an extension if there is something new to discuss the country does not want more of the same crap.

Sorry Guy on re reading your post i believe you where calling the moron who abuseds carls wife an Arsehole so if that was the case i apologise.

I apologise if I tarred all Leave supporters with the same brush - I should know better than to do that.

But when what I have read and heard comes that close to personal, judgement will become a little cloudy.

I retract what I said about despising all Leave voters.

3 Likes

When did Guy call you an arsehole?

Guy - I dont think Brexit was the cause of him being an arsehole. He has just latched on to something that he can, in his opinion, vent his ‘anger and frustration’ through. When you join the dots between Farage, Tommy Robinson, Rees-Bog etc. - the common denominator is the foot-soldier Flo encountered.

Thank you carl. This is a forum and all peoples opinions deserve a listen, even if we dont agree. Like i said nothing excuses abuse and should be dealt with.

I have to say - only 43 votes was a way tighter margin than I expected, though slightly surprised that the Spelman/Dromey amendment got through, albeit by a very slim majority.

Genuinely not sure which way the extension vote will go tomorrow.

The government motion had the amendment tagged on to it, I was actually surprised the majority was that big as the Tories told their MP’s to vote against it.

Indeed, Carl - that’s precisely the point I was trying to make. I agree 100%.

Torre, its regrettable you seem to have misunderstood me. I have never and would never call anyone on this forum an arsehole. I reserve that for special occasions! If I offended you I apologise - no offence was meant.

1 Like

No i am sorry i just read it in wrong, i do apologise.

Probably an important factor - I understand that once the Spelman/Dromey amendment passed the government changed its view on the whip for the main event - putting us in the distinctly odd position of the government whipping against its own motion.

Your really couldn’t make it up.

1 Like

I think it’s clear now that the biggest lie during the referendum was that the result would be respected. Its pretty clear that parliament had no intention of allowing the UK to leave the EU. It’s not enough for politicians to say this or that to justify their actions. We voted to leave - I wonder how 17 odd million people will react when they realise tomorrow that its unlikely there will be any Brexit at all. I doubt it will be nothing.

3 Likes

This is what saddens me… Statements such as " I wonder how 17 odd million people will react…".

There has been a lot of talk about how violence will erupt on the streets if Brexit isnt enacted - but no talk about violence from Remain supporters if Brexit IS enacted. There are probably more than 17 odd million of that stripe today.

I cannot help but think that this reinforces the stereotype of the Leave supporter when folk assume that violence will be visited upon the Nation because they cannot get their own way. It might all be media hype - but there is no smoke without fire, and that fire is sometimes stoked by politicians and other ‘influential’ persons.

2 Likes

Motion for tomorrow:

Being interpreted as - May is going to bring her deal back before the 20th for another trip down the catwalk, this time trying to use the prospect of participating in the EU elections to scare the ERG into backing her.

I kind-of agree with you on that, but the problem is that the reason that the result is “not being respected” is not that the government set out to deliberately frustrate Brexit but that TM started out, as many Tory leaders have done in the past, trying to appease the Eurosceptic loony fringe of the party - with the result that she boxed herself into an undeliverable Brexit, since you can’t have a hard Brexit and  honour the principle of the GFA.

17.4 million people voted to leave the EU, I very much doubt that 17.4 million people voted for the chaos in which we presently find ourselves.

Totally agree, unfortunately the mob can easily be whipped up to anger.

4 Likes

I don’t see the suggested leap to violence - it shows the level of prejudice against leave voters. I agree there will be a degree of anger at being misled but I was simply wondering what the reaction might look like given there aren’t any political sponsors/ champions for those people.

You yourself are a victim of parliaments duplicity - if they had come out when the PM invoked article 50 and said - there’s not a hope in hells chance of getting this through - we wouldn’t all of gone through the aggravation of the last umpteen months. You would likely have got a better exchange rate and not been forced to spend more on your property. Who you blame though is upto you.

The whole sorry episode is something none of us should be happy with. Regardless of how we voted.

3 Likes

Amen!

1 Like