Brexit Vote, what next!

Interesting:

6 Likes

This is exactly what James O’brien has argued that people should be angry at having been misled:

4 Likes

Brilliant!

Oh how I would love to see him do that!

Flo is absolutely fascinated watching him ‘perform’ just lately - she calls it ‘pure theatre’.

3 Likes

If that is the rule then that is the rule.
TM canot keep on about the will of the people and then ignore this rule.
What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander!

3 Likes

What a shame that the non thinkers will probably have never heard of him never mind having listened.

1 Like

Analysis of last night’s fiasco:

3 Likes

Bookies now going 1/8 that May gets her deal through parliament next week.

More here, love this bit

Unfortunately, by taking no deal off the table parliament has given her a very big stick with which to beat the ERG. I will take some satisfaction if the swivel-eyed loonies ultimately do not get their vision of Brexit through, but they will be so angry at being outmanoeuvred that they could still wound later on.

But the chaos that has been caused and the incompetant mishandling of the whold Brexit fiasco does not auger well for the future. The WA was just the start - we have the whole future relationship to negotiate yet. It would be poetic justice if the EU told the UK to “Go Whistle”.

British politics is fundamentally broken. May’s deal or not Britain is fundamentally broken - I do not want to live in a country where someone can be attacked on the street for talking French, or Polish, or having a brown face. :rage:

1 Like

Donald Tusk has tweeted that he would be open to a ‘long extension’ of A50, not sure whether that’s helpful or not.

Trying to influence the vote next week do you think?

It might focus the minds of the ERG.

I wonder how Bercow will play it - I doubt he will act before the result of tonight’s vote is known but if there is an appetite in parliament to ask for an extension and he is feeling very ballsy he might seek to block May bringing her plan back for a 3rd ask.

That gets us into long extensions and EU election territory - but I suspect the EU would want a plan on what we intend to do with any extra time, and there isn’t one at the moment (one would argue “what’s new” on that point).

The latest leak out of Brussels is to offer the UK a 4-year extension.

I thought it was 2, but probably irrelevant.

If I thought 2, or 4 more years would produce some clarity, consensus and a plan for leaving which would not wreck the country I would be al for it.

But much of the economic harm is already done and would take a long time to repair even if we abandoned Brexit altogether and the last 2½ years do not suggest that clarity and consensus are just around the corner.

I thought the whole point with the Withdrawal Agreement is to provide a 21-month transition period, during which the terms for the full exit will be developed. Maybe I was wrong.

Not wrong although the point  of the WA was to agree the terms of our exit - part  of which was a 21 month period (which could be extended by agreement) during which, while no longer a member of the EU, nothing would change - to allow time to negotiate our future trading arrangements, for businesses to adjust and to move to the new arrangements in an ordered and controlled manner.

It was always a farcically short period of time to do all of that.

If you offered a woman 4 years of engagement after dithering for the previous 3 - she would doubt that a marriage would ever take place :grin:

1 Like

Tried and failed to post video. Will try again later.

Check out @bbclaurak’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1106168189132701696?s=09

1 Like

Can you implement a result based on lies? There is such a fabulous range of lies to choose from as well. All backed up by video footage of various Brexiteers promising the earth.

You strike me as a chap with a good sense of humour so I hope you don’t mind me saying this.

I find it funny that you are posting, feeling somewhat sorry for yourself and other Brexiters on a predominantly pro EU forum where Brexit is going to impact the life of a majority of its members in a negative way. The thing that upsets you most is that Brexit may be delayed and may not happen. As a result your current rights and privileges are not being taken away from you.

Really to me that is comedy gold :joy::joy:

I am sorry though that you and everyone else was lied to and continues to be.

3 Likes