Brexit Vote, what next!

You’ve got the analogy all wrong, this is a divorce and like all divorces you don’t know the outcome until the two sets of barristers have finished arguing having racked up 0000’s in fees, with the Brexit divorce it’s clear the UK would have been better off seeking couples counselling first.

1 Like

We are told, repeatedly, by the ERG and other prominent Brexiteers that everyone knew in 2016 that Brexit meant leaving with no deal.

Thus everyone who voted leave knew that those rights and privileges would be taken away and were, presumably, happy with this to gain all the wonderful benefits that leaving the EU would bring.

Thus it is a cruel and malicious act to force those rights and privileges back onto all those Leave voters - though, curiously, it is neither malicious nor cruel when the self same Brexiteers admit that the sunny uplands might have been a mirage and 50 more years trudging through the desert is needed to reach the oasis.

3 Likes

Didn’t Cameroon try that though…

Or perhaps what was promised was not deliverable. Blame those who made the false promises, and it is fine to feel anger towards them, not those with the impossible job of fulfilling them.

3 Likes

Definitely watch the BBC2 programme.

He did, he shot himself in the foot by sidelining the UK within Europe even more than it had been but he won some important concessions.

But, of course, it wasn’t enough for the Eurosceptic Tories.

Everyone is getting very animated about amendments h, I, and e when I feel j in the most interesting

Amendment (j) – Bryant/Brake

This amendment orders the government not to put its Brexit deal to another vote, citing parliamentary rules

It this was to win a majority in the house later it effectively seals the fate of the PM’s deal it would mean she could not bring her deal back to parliament for a vote before a new parliament is formed in the autumn under the existing rules. Meaning we would either have to crash out on the 29th or extend article 50 for a period whilst a new deal is made or the nuclear option revoke Article 50 all together. With the house as it stands right now rule nothing out! Bercow has played a very high stakes game with his choice of amendments today!

1 Like

My original plan was to be in France or Spain by now. As early inactivs, we could handle the medical insurance and levels of future taxation but what we couldn’t live with was the diving exchange rate and lack of political progress.

My initial purchase and transfer of a suitable initial float was looking likely to cost us £249k @ 1.08 or £229k @ todays rate. At the time we had a window of opportunity the rate was looking to be going south so we had to put everything on hold as we have a finite budget and £20k put on the fire isn’t something we could do.

Potentially 4 more years to sort this out means its more likely I remain taking holidays rather than relocating anywhere longer term.

We all have different journeys and perspectives and I wouldn’t try and force my outlook on anyone else - I’m not looking to convert anyone :+1:

I’m certainly not here to gloat, given the lack of anything to gloat about, and I’m not laughing at those affected adversely by where we are at the moment. I just hope we get on creating a new relationship between the UK and the EU or Parliament says it’s never going to happen. The halflife we currently have serves nobody.

2 Likes

Amendment H is taking on a bizarre turn of its own.

So, H is the Wollaston amendment - the one which asks for a further referendum.

Which is not being supported by the People’s vote campaign:

Truly odd

And…

We have Martin Howe (a Brexiteer) arguing for a 2 year extension because it will make a no-deal exit better, somewhat contrary to normal Brexiteer logic.

It’s getting to the point I no longer know what to think about all this.

1 Like

I see the DUP could now support TM’s deal if MV3 goes ahead, if the ERG follow suit Brexit could be back on.

Good, it seems a fair deal., if the UK has to leave that is.

Yes, with no-deal gone they are both realising that it has swung to May’s deal vs no Brexit. However a margin of 149 votes is still a big hill to climb.

Depends if all parties allow a ‘free vote’ or will the members be tied to the whips ?

75 Tories voted against the deal on Tuesday so if most of them plus the DUP go the other way she’s in with a chance.

Yes but she could lose some moderates who might have voted for the deal to stop no-deal, but now see the possibility of a softer Brexit. It’s not a foregone conclusion by any means. The amendment tonight will be something of a litmus test for MV3

Right - so:

•   Wollaston (further referendum) defeated 334 votes to 85
  •   Powell (amendment to Benn amendment - extension to June 30) defeated 314 votes to 311 (that was close).
  •   Benn (parliament to take control of business on 20th) defeated 314 to 312 votes.
  •   Corbyn amendment defeated 302 to 318.
  •   Bryant amendment (no MV3) – not moved - well, that’s crap - some speculation he decided not to muddy the waters for Bercow.
  •   The overall thing passed 412 to 202

So that’s it, we have decided to ask for an extension (if the EU will grant it). It only remains to see what happens with MV3

MV3 will go ahead next week, last chance saloon for the DUP and the ERG to stop a soft Brexit IMO.

There’s a tiny chance Bercow could deem it inadmissible before the House.

If he does he would force a long extension to A50, EU elections, the whole 9 yards.

He was planning to stand down as speaker anyway so might feel he can get away with it.

But, yeah, if it goes ahead it might pass now as the DUP and ERG will surely see that they can no longer force no “deal” so it becomes “May’s deal” vs “no, or very delayed, Brexit”.

That does make a difference.

Sorry to hear that.

And all those living outside the UK which the Tory Party has promised would get a vote at the next general election.

1 Like