Brexit Vote, what next!

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on another vote Mat, the UK is divided enough already.

I already answered this one - as long as the goalposts keep moving the people should get a choice.

1 Like

Excellent retrospectives on the past week.

2 Likes

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/caroline-lucas-brexit_uk_5c8a8184e4b0fbd766220ef4?utm_hp_ref=uk-caroline-lucas

I thought this article was interesting. Brexit or no Brexit, is the answer a kind of federal UK?

This article vindicates my point that the Referendum was used in some places to give the government a kicking.
That is not the job of a Referendum, that is for a General Election and we UK citizens living in the EU are paying for this misuse of democracy.

I am puzzled by a system that allows the PM’s same deal to be offered twice (soon to be three times) defeated by a huge majority and when people call for a second referendum it is said it would ignore the democratic principle. Given that the first vote was tainted by outright lies and propaganda and was clearly illegal because of funding irregularities any result should have been declared null and void. Add the fact that it was only an advisory instrument (much like the “indicative” votes we have seen recently in the House) makes me wonder who really is pulling the strings these days. It tends to make me lose faith in western democracy when it can be so easily manipulated to serve the people at the top of the food chain.

2 Likes

TM’s QC James Eadie has admitted that TM knew that the limit for declaring the Referendum was illegal had been passed, but she has gone ahead anyway.
The problem may well have been that she knew but Parliament did not and agreed to Article 50 .
Whatever, it is jiggery pokery of the worst kind and no one seems to be able to stop her.
We were relying on Mr Speaker to invoke Erskine May and tell her that she could not bring back the same Motion that had already been defeated in the same Parliamentary session, but he seems deaf to that as well.

We may not need to rely on the speaker two bits of important news from sky news the morning, Liam Fox has just indicated during a sky interview that if it is clear in the next 48 hours that Tory Rebels and DUP won’t vote for the May deal, PM may pull the meaningful vote and just ask EU for a long extension so UK can decide how it wants to proceed.

And Corbyn in another sky interview has just said if May looses the vote that he will call a vote of no confidence in the Government again. Stand by for another unprecedented week in British politics. God knows where the country or the Brexit process will be this time next week. If May deal is rejected, could we finally see May resign?

However if May resigns, what then? Boris Johnson?

Can’t be any worse surely.

Okay. Trying to keep on open mind on this.

The first things that spring to mind are that he doesn’t really do detail, surely important if you are to be doing trade deals. Even if others are to be doing the work for him, a coherent strategy would help.

Secondly surely it is helpful to be diplomatic if you want to advance Britain’s interests in the world. I know some people find him entertaining, but he inevitably blunders and puts his foot in it.

To keep it short, Boris Johnson invariably puts his own interests first and that will inevitably have a detrimental effect upon the country.

Of course I agree May is woeful!

Do you mean before lunch or after.

1 Like

Haha :grin:

I have thought about it and in fact I think Boris Johnson would be the ideal PM… to cancel Brexit!

I can just imagine him, a week into his premiership ruffling his hair on the doorstep of No 10.

“It turns out it is just too damn tricky to leave the EU! Now, who would like a nice cup of tea”?

Then all those Brexiteers in the conservative associations would say… Ooooh that Boris! isn’t he a one? What high jinks the past three years have been.

3 Likes

Love it marijke, perfect reply.

1 Like

Mick, I think it is far more complex than that. I feel it is unlikely that Boris actually would win a leadership election. If he did then the DUP would almost instantly revoke lit’s confidence and supply agreement, because they would not support a no deal prime minister. Labour would almost certainly bring a string of no confidence votes which with the DUP onside they could probably win as they would have the Scottish Nationalists onside to.

If Conservatives lost that vote then they have a short period to form a government that commands to majority of the house or to see if they can form a minority government, however labour also have the option to do the same and they could potentially form a majority national government with the SNP, independents etc. Forcing the Conservatives from government. It’s now very much all to play for on both sides in the coming week. I rule nothing out in the present messed up world of UK politics right now

Brian please, I am not a Boris supporter just commenting on how bad it would be to find a replacement for the current PM.

Oh I figured you weren’t a fan of his already Mick. But yes it would be exceptionally hard as they would tear themselves apart trying to decide if they elect a remainer or a Brexiteer and whilst they are trying to do that I think Corbyn will steel it away from them.

1 Like

Perhaps the new lady behind the hair cut could persuade him to change his mind as well?
Or perhaps not, as he has just written in The Telegraph that he will not support TM in her third attempt to get her blighted agreement through Parliament.

Been having a good think about this and you could be right, just imagine the scene when PM Clarke and the European president Juncker are discussing Brexit over Lunch, I would think that after the 3rd bottle of Claret a very agreeing solution would be found and then we can all get back to some kind of normality.

5 Likes

Oh now that is a very significant development Bercow has just announced he won’t allow PM to bring her deal back to the house for a vote unless it has substantially changed from the previous vote. That has just put the cat right royally among the pigeons!

2 Likes