Brexit Vote, what next!

April 2019 is now the bookies favourite for TM not to be the PM.

Really that’s very generous she may not make March out yet! Lol

Not much between those two months in the betting.

I think you are referring to this Guardian piece,

I am told that the minutes of the cabinet meeting contain at least five references to the Tories’ narrow political concerns. According to the official account, written by Sir Mark Sedwill, the cabinet secretary, ministers discussed how the government is “committed to delivering Brexit — not to do so would be damaging to the Conservative party”. And in a clear sign of the political nature of the discussion chaired by the prime minister, the minutes end with the words: “The Conservative party wants to stay in government and get councillors elected. The arguments in parliament could jeopardise that.”

It is extremely unusual for such language to creep into a civil service note — partisan debates are supposed to be limited to special political cabinet meetings from which officials are excluded. In fact the tone of the minutes was so extraordinary that the issue was raised at this morning’s cabinet meeting by ministers who stressed the importance of governing in the national rather than the party interest.

This was, however, part of a pattern. One Whitehall source says: “In recent weeks there have been an increasing number of mentions in cabinet minutes about how Brexit has to be delivered for the sake of the Conservative party. That will be damning when the public inquiry into Brexit happens. The civil service are now finding ways of ensuring that the political decisions that are being taken will one day be fully understood.”

1 Like

The feeling was that the public had lost faith with politicians and, having been promised that the government would implement the referendum result, failure to do so would undermine the already fragile trust which the people had in the government.

Of course Brexit was just about the worst flagship to choose to restore that trust.

Apart from the campaign irregularities - which came to light later - there was no plan to deliver Brexit and, given multiple contradictory promises made by Leave supporters no real mandate for any individual approach to delivery of the result.

Then there is the fact that May capitulated to the ERG in order to prevent a party schism and thus boxed herself with her red lines into backing a hard Brexit fundamentally at odds with the letter and (more importantly) the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement - thus making her position impossible; she cannot deliver a workable Brexit that the ERG will support and her version of Brexit is too extreme the rest of parliament to be comfortable with either.

There is also the fact that, although much is made of the fact that 80% of the public voted for a party promising to deliver the referendum result in the 2017 election, thus “refreshing” the mandate (and in a binding manner), but in truth neither labour nor the Tories actually won a majority - so it is wrong to say there is a clear mandate for the Tory approach to Brexit.

The EU have been clear and consistent all along, largely because they followed everything to a logical conclusion and then stuck to their guns, while we twisted and turned trying to turn the impossible into reality.

Ultimately this might well break the Tories; I won’t shed many tears.

4 Likes

Breaking news on the FT on line that Rees-Mogg is signaling readiness to back the PM’s deal he announces on twitter.

The DUP were still signalling that they are not supporting May’s deal, there are 10-20 hardcore ERG members (John Redwood and cronies) who probably won’t support May’s deal under any circumstances and at least 10 moderate Tories who won’t support it either so JRM switching sides probably isn’t enough to get it through.

2 Likes

Speculation at the moment around TMs speech to the 1922 committee tomorrow. Will she set resignation date?

Never a dull moment…

If ever I was convinced before that this Brexshit tripe had nothing to do with the good of the country, then this absolutely confirms it.

The only thing that could top this for me, and give it a gold leaf coating, would be for Rees-Bogg and the other multi-millionaire pigs swill quaffers to put into writing that they want Brexshit purely to feather their nests and protect their vast wealth at the expense of the ordinary working man.

I was in Brussels with some Belgian friends on Saturday and was embarrassed to even discuss this debacle with them when they questioned me about it. They, to a man, just cannot get their heads around WHY???

5 Likes

Have you seen this, Carl?

3 Likes

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

1 Like

In a perverse way I think this is uniting the country, both leavers and remainers are all totally fed up of the whole bunch of to$$pots who don’t deserve the power and influence they are privileged to have.

Come the revolution! Time to reinstall absolute Monarchy maybe… I’m sure Queenie would sort this shit out!

3 Likes

Yeah! Come back John Kerr - all is forgiven!

Yes the EU would have to join the Commonwealth.

Oh no! Commonwealth people have a hard time entering UK. :bomb::boom::broken_heart:

So finally May announces she is off! :joy::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

And Bercow sticking all kinds of obstacles in her path for sure

and Dame Margaret Beckett says she’ll only beleive that if it’s written in her (May’s) blood…
Conservative MPs are so gullible…

1 Like

The EU on our side…

A job for the ECJ perhaps?