Brexit Vote, what next!

Agreed Jane, I think the face of British politics will be fundamentally changed by this Brexit fiasco. I would love to see a broad centralist party develop with the extreme elements from all parties marginalised. But it won’t happen because we don’t have proportional representation.

I’ve just come off the phone to my parents who were discussing the complete Brexit mess saying how dreadful it all was and how concerned they were about what it all meant. Saying their hospital was struggling for staff. And they hoped food prices wouldn’t go up as a result as they were already finding it hard to make ends meet. Saying at the end the whole thing should be cancelled before it’s too late and everyone really starts to suffer.

I could not help but show my frustration as hard as I tried not to when reminding them how pleased they were two years ago to tell me they voted to leave. Despite me desperately predicting at the time the kind of chaos we now find ourselves in!

Oh! The irony!

Surely the fact that within both parties there is such wide range of ideals/opinions means they are indeed ‘broadchurches’?

We have broken off relations with two ‘friends’ who voted Leave.

It was totally their right to do that, but I wonder how they would feel if the boot was on the other foot and it was them losing their freedoms, or in some cases, their jobs.

Once again Mr Dunt writes a good summation of the current state of affairs (I’m starting to like his observations as much as Chris Grey’s)

I particularly like the following 2 paragraphs on Corbyn and May

1 Like

:grinning: Yes Peter, I do get that a lot, I believe there’s a song called Teddy O’Neill but it’s about a man with a roving eye and I don’t fit the descripton either, I,m actually sitting on a plane in Dublin airport waiting to fly to Grenoble, been sitting her an hour already and they are now telling us that we won’t be taking off for another two hours, (they have offered us a five euro snack voucher) seemingly they had snow in grenoble (who could have predicted that, snow in the alps), so air traffic control is backed up. Why they had us board in the first place, will remain a mystery known only to Ryanair!

My first ever commercial flight was from Gatwick to Munich for a ski holiday. We sat on the plane for five hours before being one of the first to take off. The cabin crew made it quite clear why we were loaded up and ready to go, if we weren’t we would loose our place in the queue and delay our flight by a huge amount. I’m not sure your current position is something that you can blame on Ryanair.

1 Like

So that you’re ready to fly as soon as a slot becomes available - no mystery.

(edit woops apologies David - should have read you reply first!)

I think you’re missing my main point David. I travel a lot and I unserstand all about back ups, push backs etc, what i dont understand is beibg kept in the dark.When I said the mystery will remain known only to Ryanair, it was because they told us nothing, any information garnered was from people turning back on their IPhones and finding out themselves and passing it on to others, all Ryanair told us was that they were awaiting a second crew to come to Dublin airport as the crew on the incoming flight had already completed their shifts for the day (This was 9am in the morning) Ryanair have been voted the worst airline in Europe for the 5th consecutive year for a reason)!

Patently not Teddy! The situation you found yourself in is not unique to Ryanair and happens to all carriers - so stop having a pop at them! Your crew clearly told you they were waiting for a replacement crew - what’s to get?? It’s entirely possible that the inbound crew to Dublin had run out of duty hours at 09h00 - they most probably had flown at least 3 sectors the previous day and had had ‘minimum rest’ overnight before their hop to Dublin that morning!

Guess what - bad weather may severely affect flight and crew schedules… not the fault of the airline!

Ryanair’s rating is skewed a bit due to their poor service when dealing with cancellations and complaints etc, it does much better with ‘on-time’ flights.

Perhaps the news hasn’t teached Dublin yet, but when they say snow, they mean lots of it.
More snow has fallen in the Alps, Switzerland , Germany and Austria for beyond memory.
Not caused by Ryanair I think.

1 Like

Simon, you are clearly Michael O’Leary’s love child, so I claim my £5 !

1 Like

Simon and Jane, you don’t seem to be picking up on my main point here, it’s the lack of communication I’m talking about, We boarded the plane yesterday at 9 50, we waited for an hour before we were told anything. Then after a few people approached the crew, we had a statement broadcast saying " the delay is being caused by a change over of crew from the incoming flight whose replacements haven’t arrived at the airport yet, another hour passed, with no more information, then I started to write my text to Peter. I understand about delays, I understand snow, I understand slots being available and not available, what I didn’t understand when I wrote my text in the middle of all this was why we were boarded en masse because a replacement crew had still not arrived at the airport. If we had been informed immediately that the reason for the delay was because we were waiting for a slot in Grenoble, then believe me I would sit there and understand the process!! As I already stated, there is a reason Ryanair have been voted the worst airline in Europe five times in a row, and one of the reasons is not because they follow proper procedure and get the plane boarded to await a slot, IT’S BECAUSE THEY LEAVE YOU TO SIT THERE FOR TWO HOURS WITHOUT ANY INFORMATION!! Apologies for shouting, but this airline has broken my heart so many times and before ye come back at me saying why are you still flying with them, it’s because they are the only airline flying into particular places I love in beautiful France!!

1 Like

Sorry Teddy - still don’t get your point - must be me being thick! During your delay you were given 2 reasons - bad weather in Grenoble and a crew change. The number of times you were told this information would have had no bearing on your delay. Anyway - I guess the crux of the matter is - you did indeed know / find out what was going on.

Without a shadow of a doubt there will. be a continued lack of a consensus of government direction and plan , with more conservative in fighting and disinformation .
Remember this :-
“People are always shouting they want to create a better future. It’s not true. The future is an apathetic void of no interest to anyone. The past is full of life, eager to irritate us, provoke and insult us, tempt us to destroy or repaint it. The only reason people want to be masters of the future is to change the past.”
― Milan Kundera

1 Like

I sat on the runway at Stanstead for two hours, because of snow in Munich.
That was Lufthansa and all we were told was that it was the weather.

Not when they are at total loggerheads to the detriment of our national interest.

Sorry Simon, you’re not being thick, but if you read my text again, we we’re give one message from Ryanair in two and a half hours, the message was “change of crew” this is an hour after we boarded and only because people we’re getting frustrated, the information about the snow did not come from Ryanair, it was fellow passengers eventually googling Grenoble airport, an hour after the crew change announcement, and finding out why we were still sitting in Dublin. Maybe you are a very patient man and can sit for two and half hours with no information or misinformation forthcoming, and if you are , then fair play to you I would love to have your patience! Over and out mon Capitan!

1 Like

Online comments in the newspapers, reveal that quite a lot of people are hoping for just this result…

Robert,
Eventually I think we’ll get Dominic Raab, as PM (they wont be able to use another ‘remainer’… & Gove & Johnson are tainted)…Raab is well qualified, ( judging by his resume on Wikkipedia ), has very recent, relevant experience, is clever enough, along with sufficient energy to see this through, (unlike Davis)…Recent utterings by JRM have been a bit worrying, but JRM, might make a good Chancellor…