Brexit Vote, what next!

Is this the same Dominic Raab who was unaware (as Brexit Secretary) how important Dover was to the UK’s imports and exports from Europe?

1 Like

In which case they should be careful what they wish for.

I am largely resigned to an exit with no agreements in place - I do not think this is going to go well. Our political leaders have demonstrated that they do not have the skills to make a success of Brexit in even the most favourable of global trading circumstances and the current situation is anything but.

Barring some last minute stay of execution I can’t see May getting anywhere - her plan B seems to be plan A with the backstop removed and the EU aren’t going to give her that.

Hunt, I reckon. He’s not (as far as I know) actually disgraced himself at the Foreign Office and is probably one of the more competent politicians at the moment. I don’t think Raab’s really got what it takes and he will be tainted by his time as “Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union” and, as Tim says, by that very public gaff regarding the importance of Dove.

1 Like

Don’t agree with you…plenty of people were very much, prepared to dig around & carry out their own research…and is a complete myth that it is/was based on xenophobia…See this recent comment (not mine, but from the DM)…

“So is he talking about after Brexit happens? Because it doesn’t look like it’s going to now. If we remain in the EU by 2020 the EU will control every country’s tax, tax increases etc direct, that is their plan and by 2022 the L i sbon treaty says all countries must have joined the Euro. All the other stuff he’s promised is the usual promises each and every PM has made and never fulfilled. For an election to take place there has to be a vote of no confidence anyway because of the The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011. So all this is up in the air. Basically all we want and all we aren’t getting is the Government’s promise to deliver Brexit. If there is an election I’ll be voting UKIP, I’ll never vote for these main parties again, no matter who takes over their lies.”

Add the plans for an EU army, (that could be used to crush dissent in the 26/7.)…and the whole straight-jacket of ‘ever closer union’…makes it all more understandable,…at least to the likes of me…

1 Like

I worry about people who believe that level of propaganda.

4 Likes

One advantage ?..Really ?..another saved online comment from the DM(not mine)…‘from the hoi-polloi’…
" Why would you want to stay in the EU when they have been quietly stealing from the UK making us weak so we need them . Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant. Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant. Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds. Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant. British Army’s new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales. Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan. Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200. M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan. and the list goes on and on ,the good thing is after Brexit we can start firms like this again with the EU money we save…’

1 Like

I don’t like Hunt much…(too much TM’s ‘Yes’ man)…

The worst candidate would be Gavin (“dont tell 'im Pike”), Williamson…that really would cause a riot and be as good a gift to Labour, as Corbyn is to the Tories !

I don’t think the majority of NHS staff would like Hunt as PM after his stretch as Health Minister

1 Like

Whose ‘propaganda’ are you on ?

My own. That latest outpouring of spite could have come straight from any UKIP voter’s FB page.

2 Likes

“Raab is well qualified, ( judging by his resume on Wikkipedia ), has very recent, relevant experience, is clever enough,”
He is an academically clever but no common sense opportunist snout in the trough apparatchik who wants to get ahead, that’s all.

3 Likes

Recent discussions on LBC, (with some contributions by experts in the field)…leave me feeling perplexed as to why this Irish border problem, seems to be ‘insurmountable’…when in fact the technology is already in use, via such means as bonded warehouses (CEO of Next)…& also, tax could be collected in the same way at VAT is, online…
Periodic, random checks on cargo could happen at the warehouse sites…

Don’t tar all UKIP voters with the same brush…especially when Corbyn’s Labour can’t deal with it’s anti-semite problem…

1 Like

The problem is that plenty wasn’t enough.
What mentality is it that people with large car plants in their constituencies that were built there to alleviate unemployment and because they were in UK and had access to the EU voted to Leave?
When they lose their jobs it is the rest of the tax paying population that will have to bail them out.
Totally stupid.
As stupid as those that believed the false promises on ‘the bus’.

1 Like

What on earth, do you base this on ?

Sounds like he’s thinking of “Rock, Paper, Scissors”…

Taking ‘No Deal’ off the table, would make our bargaining position even weaker…

1 Like

Two wrongs don’t make a right. I wouldn’t waste the tar.

Coming back to this thread after a couple of days…

Wow have I entered a ludicrous parallel dimension where I am being told Brexit is a good this despite all of the evidence to the contrary!

3 Likes

What bargaining position? That was a myth brewed up to win votes. The EU has solid lines that it cannot go beyond, why should 27 countries bow down to one? It’s been pointed out before, 27 countries speak with one voice, even the Conservative party can’t do that, let alone the country.

I don’ want someone representing me who is necessarily clever, just someone who understands how life is in the real world.
A good MP is one who knows what the electorate are going through.

2 Likes