Brexit Vote, what next!

A compromise will be found and MPs will find an accord. The vote on the 29th will be again defeated by a smaller majority and a third vote on Plan C will be accepted. I feel it in my water.

David is right - “no deal” is not a bargaining chip with the EU, they are clear negotiations are closed - no negotiations=no leverage.

The only place “no deal” gives May a “bargaining position” is with her own party and parliament - she refuses to “take it off the table” because she is hoping to delay until the only choice is her deal or the cliff edge.

Hi Peter, I think that is what is called “sleepwalking off a cliff…”

On a wider point I was astounded to hear that a Guardian Poll (tiny admittedly) has the most popular option - 24% - as leave no deal.

You could not make it up and I am beginning to agree with Paul - the unthinkable really could happen. I have always felt common sense would prevail eventually, but we seem to be waaaay past that.

I have long given up on common sense prevailing over Brexit.

There is a chance May will win her parliamentary game of chicken but I doubt the history books are going to be kind to her. Plus we then have to start the real negotiations over the future relationship.

Came across this post - interesting perspective on how the Leavers have never  been able to agree on what form Brexit should take.

Apparently a Sky News poll has shown that 25% of the responders think that ‘no deal’ means “no change” - they stay in the EU ! Maybe it is unscientific but it is still shocking.

It’s worrying - I posted this a while ago if I recall.

Unfortunately the longer this display of utter incompetence goes on the more the original leave vote becomes strengthened by the “we told you to leave - bloody well get on with it” sentiment.

1 Like

The Brexit process is really starting to anger me now.

A stupid decision by the country influenced by deceitful MPs and implemented appallingly.

37% of those eligible to vote voted to Leave.

The “Will of the People” , my a**e!

4 Likes

That’s because their pea brains are getting bored.
Important things like UK people living in the EU losing their freedom of movement is not on their horizon and probably never has been.
They just follow sound bites like Project Fear and Taking back Sovereignty.
They make me ill.

TM is a ridiculously stubborn woman who thinks that the Tory Party is more important than the economic future of the UK.
She makes me ill.

1 Like

So what should she do Jane to alleviate your suffering?

Stop causing suffering to me and hundreds of thousands of others who will have their families split up, lose their jobs, suffer financial loss and more.
She should listen to others, especially the EU who have repeatedly said that there is nothing more on offer.
She is making Britain look foolish and Corbyn should get real, because what the EU says applies equally well to him.
Labour or Tory there is nothing more to offer.
TM thought she could get one of the 27 on side, guess what they are sticking together like glue.
She is a disaster and the sooner her Cabinet tell her that the better.

Possible consequences of no-deal. Speculation at this point but frighteningly plausible.

Jane, Brexit in some form has to happen whether you or I want it to so the options for TM are somewhat limited at present. The best we can hope for is that A50 is extended so a different deal on soft Brexit lines is negotiated.

1 Like

If a further referendum were to take place a remain wins Brexit would not need to happen.

2 Likes

There is no better deal to be had, there never was.

It’s perfectly clear now as it should have been from the start that there never was going to be a deal in the sense of a negotiation between two sides, no matter what Fox, Davis, Johnson, Reese-Mogg and others would have us believe. When the EU said ‘you can’t cherry pick from the EU and you can’t have a better deal outside the EU than inside’, that wasn’t the presentation of a negotiating position (or red line as we like to call it), it was simply a description of the EU. Twenty eight (soon to be twenty seven) countries who believed, rightly or wrongly, that they had a better deal inside the EU then outside. We have decided to leave so we have chosen the worse deal with the EU.

Whatever bright future we are being offered by the No Deal brigade, it will never include getting something from the EU we are not entitled to as a country outside of it.

And Corbyn is as deluded or as duplicitous as May or anyone else if he thinks he can negotiate a better deal and I say that as someone who misguidedly voted for him.

5 Likes

If we insist on not accepting freedom of movement, and not coming under ECJ jurisdiction and all of May’s other “red lines” then no, this is the deal we get.

But had we accepted different constraints then I think a different deal would have been possible - arguably “better” depending on how you measure it.

You’re right of course, Paul, I was trying to keep my point simple and only referring to the current, mad idea that we could still get concessions from the EU.

1 Like

Even if Remain won the likes of UKIP aren’t going to just disappear so we’d be back where we were in 2016, a close Remain win would see calls for ‘best of three’.

1 Like

And if not close?

Bearing in mind 4% was previously “overwhelming support”

Threshold of 8% to show significant change in “The Will of the People”

I think the only thing we can learn from the Scottish independence referendum or the Brexit referendum is that anything presented as a once in a generation vote is anything but that. Democracy is inevitably weakened by this and we must accept that in future nothing is presented in this way again.