Brexit voters march on capital

If the personal views do not match what your fighting/campaigning for…In my view what is thz point?
Surely you must believe in yourself as a Politian and only support what you believe in? Otherwise you are in the wrong party,
Many of those who voted to leave do not have a true reason for their vote and in many cases they merely followed fashion.

1 Like

Isn’t it the case that a candidate is supposed to publish their thought and beliefs in the run up to an election - the electorate can then vote, or not, for that candidate.

The approach that a candidate/MP changes their beliefs based on their electorate seems to be hypocritical (and a bit slimey!)

I understand that an MP is to pursue/answer questions or issues on behalf of individual voters.

1 Like

ultra slimey!
It is also full circle of thoughts. begins with idea that UK must do something about immigration and what it “donates” to the EU and that UK will be better for this…lots of people decided that this is a good idea and then the ruling body have to underpin these ideas and support them even if they believe it is not good for the country. Is that democracy?

1 Like

I know one who admits he made a mistake, certainly many others Tim :wink:

Maybe easily enough youngsters who see their future ‘down the tube’!

The use of semantics and carefully chosen language continues to be used to sway opinion. He calls it a threat. They call it reality.

2 Likes

I remain incredulous that May and the rest of the Brexiteers cling so tenaciously to their fantasy, when it is clear that the whole process is falling apart.

Of course it will not be their fault when it goes properly wrong. It will be ours or the EU’s but not theirs.

As usual Chris Grey puts it far more eloquently than I can - it is particularly edifying to look back at all the clips of prominent Brexiters claiming that they did not wish to leave the single market, that no-one was saying that we should so so.

In a sane world this should produce an outcry of “you promised one thing but are delivering another - stop now” from almost everyone who voted Leave. That they do not do so reinforces my belief that the real issues are not the EU but xenophobia and a disenfranchised generation who have been left behind by the modern world - the EU was just made the scapegoat.

Unfortunately the Maybot has been programmed by the Ultra Brexit crowd and is headed juggernaut-like to the cliff edge with no chance of deviation from her set path.

2 Likes

love it, these kind of threats… They have left businesses not knowing if what the UK will become is a stable environment for their businesses. Its not threats its reality and people ie businesses are worried about their future in England.

Nice share David

I have heard it said that there is already a small switch from leave to remain through natural causes.

There was a distinct difference between the way the “old folk” voted to the way youngsters voted. The majority “old folk” voted for Brexit whereas the majority of youngsters voted Remain.

To be blunt since the referendum a number of “old folk” have died, whereas a number of youngsters have become eligible to vote.

This is what I was told - I have therefore crunched the numbers to see the effect.

I apologise in advance for checking/discussing death rates - but I was keen to quantify the effect.

Using a number of sources studying:

• the number of people who died who were 65+
  • the number of people who turned 18
  • the percentage voting remain and leave 65+ (64%/36%)
  • the percentage voting remain and leave 18 (29%/71%)
  • the turnout of the age groups 65+ & 18 (72% v 53%)

(the number of people who die outside the age range of +65 is relatively small =15 % of total)

The figures are as follows :

204,000 leavers died, 115,000 remainers died in the +65 group per year
122,000 leavers, 301,000 remainers became 18 per year

The net result is only 89,000 additional remainers per year through deaths and people turning 18 - so perhaps not as significant as I had hoped.

This is obviously not precise but an indicator and there will be other factors to throw into the mix.

(Sources ONS/YouGuv/Ipsos/Wikipedia)
ONS Death Rates
YouGov - how Britain Voted
ONS Population
Ipsos - turnout
Wikipedia Demographics

1 Like

how a revote would pan out is anyone’s guess.

Just time for more lies.

It won’t happen though

The majority of Labour MP’s don’t want Brexit however the majority of Labour constituencies voted for Brexit, are people really suggesting that Labour MP’s should vote with their conscience and against their constituents wishes?

If they had any balls they would.

They were voted for based upon their election promises - they should do whatever they said they were going to do during the election.

1 Like

Mmmm. … that might well be a first, for many of them… :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Exactamundo!!

Both Labour and Conservatives put in their manifestos last year that they were going to honour the Brexit result, only the Libdems put forward the idea of a second referendum. Ergo, people who voted for either main party should expect Brexit to happen. How many SFN members voted for Labour or the Conservatives in 2017, honest answers only please?

i voted green party this last time round.

Never mind about Labour and conservative think about the good of UK! Just been speaking to my old friend with whom we shred many years of friendship in London and she and I think so differently. to her. She came to live in London and always says that London was good to her and yet she screams at me about immigration and hoW UK is too small to take in immigrants and she would not like a ¨Polish person to have taken her job. How can some one think that way. A job is offered to the person who is most employable. Simple as that. Is it competition or is it prejudice!
However my friend did not vote Brexit because she has divided interests…her son has a property in France.
I still think that we have to stick to our principals.

I voted Labour as a lifelong supporter hoping that a Labour government might reverse the decision to leave the EU, but seriously misjudged the party’s direction of travel, and Corbyn’s anti-EU principles. Very much a case of wishful thinking on my part, and of being rather stuck in an ideological rut.

Now I must wait the chickens coming home to roost. The consolation is that now I keep chickens I know what that actually looks like, clever things those fowl, and very predictable too.

I hope we shan’t be told to leave France as undesirable aliens. I would be inclined to dig my heels in. At my age it would be something to savour, and I would get a kick out of resisting, probably a real one from a French boot. The food in a French nick would likely be better than in a British one, do they serve vin de table ? I expect they do, the French are surely not so uncouth as to omit that plaisir, however heinous the crime.

And my acquaintance with French prison argot would be a huge bonus, prison talk has a magic of its own, si l’on veut être branché :roll_eyes: au coin…

As one who thinks we should halt proceedings immediately I find there isn’t a party of any size (i.e with more than a snowball in hell’s chance of gaining power) that I could vote for on the basis of their stance re: Brexit - I voted Lib Dem in the election but even they watered down their pledge to just that of a 2nd referendum.

The Greens put me off pretty permanently in the mid 1980’s when I first read their manifesto properly - they have some pretty radical left wing ideas going on. I note that their current manifesto includes a wealth tax, renationalisation of the power, water and transport industries as well as Royal Mail and calls for nuclear disarmament (well, scrapping of Trident which is the same thing).

1 Like

I have voted Conservative all my voting life - I am now 55. I abhor Labour as, having grown up in the 1970’s and seen how the Unions wielded their power under a Labour Government, I could not countenance going through that again - which, in my view, is what would happen should Comrade Corbin gain power.

HOWEVER, in the last election I voted Libdem…knowing that they probably wouldnt get in, but my conscience was salved by knowing that I did not vote for the clowns that are ruining the country today.

My vote would also have been for the Lib Dem but Kensington and Chelsea messed up my chance to vote.