Brexit--- what if

I have used it several times over the last 12 months or so. I am not sure what the word 'many' is numerically, by definition it is 'a lot of, a large/great number of, great quantities of, plenty of', thus for me probably four but perhaps as many as six times remains 'several'. I asked when and whether 'leftie' equates with that? You chose not to answer. However, we were discussing this post, thus it came across as overemphasised, but if you now look at UK newspapers (I read four every day at least) you will find that even ukip members and even Farage use the expression kippers. It was a friend of Cameron, Tory co-chairman and ex fellow Oxford student Lord Feldman actually described Tory activists as "mad, swivel-eyed loons" back in 2013, when some defected to ukip. Conservative supporting newspapers have repeated that expression of the right wing of the Tories and the often quite appalling antics of some ukip activists (another expelled as recently as Wednesday last week). Thus said, does it become offensive by transference? Just asking.

What Vernon/Mike said was a slur on all French people which he made patently clear. The vehemence with which it was stated was shocking. There are French members, other nationalities married to French citizens, thus many also have French children. So he should be allowed to condemn them to some kind of 'reject' status because he very patently hates them? He also had a good poke at other nationalities. Portuguese shop keepers, for instance, because Woolworths had closed down where he lived! Much of it came across as xenophobic, although you might not see it that way. He may well have offended well beyond simply French and a few 'sensitive' other Europeans. But I get the feeling here the implication is to simply take it on the chest, allow a tirade to keep coming and not respond in kind. Some people think as per the old adage 'what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander'.

However, the bottom line is that most of us hit back in a manner not so far from, for instance, the exchanges in BBC Two's 'Have I got news for you'. That some comments might have been a bit below the belt may well reflect precisely how people felt metaphorically kicked in the same place. One does not need to be French to have been offended either.

Using the term "kipper" to denote the fruit loops of UKIP is now commonplace in the UK. It's really derogatory of the fish rather than the party. I'm rarely rude to anyone on this site save for Barbara and probably the sort of right wing free marketeers who from time to time pop up. Or people who state their reasons for leaving the UK as being the replacement of their local Woolies by Polish and Portugese mom and pop stores which seems quite bananas. Just an opinion you know.

Likewise and as I'm not personally affected in terms of permis de séjour etc etc by the original topic of the discussion I read it simply as I find it interesting to see what people who may be affected think - I didn't have anything useful to say on the topic & reacted only to the sweeping remarks about French people.

Personally I have no idea who Mike/Vernon is/was, i'm sure i'm not alone.

I used those expressions once, sardonically, so I think the word 'constantly' is rather unfair. However, if I may ask, when some people use 'lefties' occasionally is that not offensive? Véronique and I may be admins but we too get our hands slapped when we go too far and have no special status.

I hope that this clears up your apprehensions. I see Catharine and Véro have also commented, but I thought I would naturally give you fair explanation too. Please also take into account that Peter and Véro are also French citizens. Some of the language used about France and the French really was well over the line.

Just to be clear here... "Vernon" used to be known as Mike. As you all (hopefully) are aware - real names are vitally important to SFN and what sets us apart from the rest.

Not 'funny' at all Lisa. Vernon or whatever his or her real name is was insulting me and my fellow french citizens. He or she is entitled to whatever opinion but I and others have a right to reply surely ? What Catharine did was her business, Vernon's membership was revoked for whatever reason.

Don't worry Lisa, I have had my fair & deserved share of being set right for being forthright to excess (one of my many failings along with not being able to resist stupid puns) I would hope though that we are all in the same boat, as it were, & that everyone is treated the same... as I'm not a particularly sensitive soul I sometimes forget some people are, so if you feel that I have been unduly sharp do please tell me to get back in the knife drawer :-) !

If you feel offended by any particular remark (s) Lisa (or anyone else), I / we would really appreciate it if you could copy and paste the remarks in question and message James directly via the SUPPORT Tab so that they can be investigated / dealt with.

'Vernon' had his membership removed because he failed to comply with our T&C's - not because of his opinions!

Hope this clears things up. Thanks!

Catharine x

Dopey

...and there we were, all trying to work out which one of the seven dwarves he could have been ;-)

For anyone following this thread who may be interested...

I've just revoked "Vernon's" membership as it would appear that he was not using his real name. Funny that.

My sister says there are hundreds in well off SW19 where she lives, but then I would hardly expect otherwise if they are earning good dosh.

That's right and according to where I found it, after Boris (it was) made a somewhat off the cuff remark to that effect the French Consulate looked at how many people registered, asked for lists of people registered for the French electoral register with UK addresses and found roughly six times as many as their estimate based on consular registration. The press release that followed was just below 300,000 with a ball park figure for those who had not given a UK address. Since then emigration from France has been climbing fast with London the most favoured destination. The estimate is now that 2.6 million have left France recently (I think they mean five years) with a quarter heading for the UK.

Until I looked I too would have thought it an exaggeration. Although there are non-working partners and dependants, another estimate shows they are among one of the highest income brackets in the UK (excluding the stinking rich minority) with salaries upward of £60k p.a. and a rate of of an estimated 96% of those available for work/study employed or studying. Food for thought for the 'chuck 'em out' brigade no doubt.

The difference between most French bigots and English ones is, as far as I can see; the French tell you...

I don't like, whereas the English pretend they like, but don't.

The estimate at the end of last year the French Consulate release was in the order of between 300,000-400,000 in London alone. The 600,000 throughout the UK is almost certainly an underestimate! Wow! Mind you, that is still a needle in a haystack stuff given that it is less than 4% of the population. It is catching up on the 6% of Londoners who are Moslems fast. Well, that should give the kippers cause for concern. There are more French than any single nationality of Moslems which simply does not fit with their world view, well the bit that side of La Manche at least, except beyond Hadrian's Wall, Offa's Dyke, Somerset - as if the world wasn't small enough...

Frankly with your attitudes Vernon I would not only spit behind your back but spit on it. When your "inevitable" referendum occurs I shall vote as a registered overseas voter, even if it means a long pilgrimage to my old constituency.Personally I couldn't give a flying F..ck as to my finances. At my age I don't need to give such things much concern. However I do find you and the invisible man particularly offensive. I don't recall anyone on this forum having " spout forth" as you say that they are no longer British . We come from many nationalities but what apparently you can't accept is that some might sacrifice a little of their own nationaity for the benefit of us all Europeans. It's a bit like the Scandinavians, whom you undoubtedly despise for their wanton social mores, we are in the EU underneath the same roof. Would that we could make ourself more so.

I rarely have the opportnity to despise anyone but your attitudes to my French neighbours disgusts me. So suck that up.

I didn't have time to be online, I was far far too busy being racist & bigoted & smilingly taking foreigners' money while spitting on them, just as you might expect really, from a French person in SW France. Thirsty work I must say, all that spitting. Quite difficult too, to smile & spit simultaneously, but practise makes perfect, if at first you don't succeed try, try again etc.

I wonder who is actually more racist and bigoted? I know I have met some here in France, but in the UK many more. Including my late father as it happens.

Speculation on what will happen whenever is not even a certainty in the minds of experts. I have learned economics and use it professionally but I am not an economist and would not even try some of your wisdoms Vernon. Are you the one who pinched Mystic Meg's crystal ball by chance ;-)

However, some of us work, others of us occasionally leave our four walls. I certainly did both today. Therefore, my illustrious presence, like others was not available.

I'm half French Vernon and to call the french population 'bigoted' as well as 'racist' is an insult. Yes, some indeed are as you say, just like some Brits, Swedish, Chinese, Peruvian et al. You must live in a pretty sad place to feel like that ! Maybe it's you who don't belong in this great country with such an attitude ? Frankly i'm disappointedwith your view of the average French person, I hope none of them living near to you bother to read the SFN posts !

France will not say 'go home' but they may well change the rules if the UK government decide to move the goalposts. The UK may bow to some pressure from it's electorate to amend it's EEC membership but no government except for UKIP and the like would be stupid enough to cut off economic and financial ties with the European Community.