Brit OA Pension. Charity hand out?

Jeannette…

There are many ways of “putting back into the community”. There are local charity organization/associations…aimed at helping all those who have a need (of whatever sort)…single parents… elderly/infirm… hospital visiting…helping the bereaved… etc etc… All of these need volunteers to share the load…

Anyone with a good heart, who can give their time… such folk will be welcomed with open arms.

cheers

1 Like

I don’t know anything about the physicality of being an artist. What I do know is when state pension was brought in many elderly had worked all their lives in manual labour. There are still many nurses, factory workers, hairdressers and shop assistants, chefs, teachers etc who at 65years old are physically and or mentally shattered. Perhaps you have energy, good health and a content nature. My husband at 57 after doing a job that was not at all physically demanding was mentally totally wrecked. He took early retirement and we are lucky enough to manage on what we have until we get state pension. For those without a work pension the consequences of being ill and not having an income will be devestating.
I am beginning to think that you favour working people into the ground. Perhaps take a step back from the privelege of being a talented artist and look more carefully at those who have to spend 45 years working in a low paid, monotonous and soul destroying environment just to get by. In my opinion they deserve 15 years of contentment.

4 Likes

I spent 20+ years in the construction industry in the UK where it was not unusual for some labourers, brickies and scaffolders etc not to even make it to retirement age. After my hip op in 2017 I gave up building work as I knew if I didn’t my retirement would be short. Whilst I’m happy to carry on until I get the UK state pension at 66 I’m also looking forward to NOT working every day and having paid NI/social charges for 50 years I think that’s long enough, I’m aware though that I’ll continue to pay social charges on my pension.

2 Likes

And what a bleak future that would be for some people.
They say societies are judged by how well they’re able to look after their most vulnerable members.
How would people with disabilities and impairments survive, in your society? What about people who are down on their luck for whatever reason, and simply don’t have the resources to support themselves?

The basic principle in France is that everyone pays in according to their means, so that everyone can take out according to their needs. Difficult to get the balance right, but I think the principle is the right one.

3 Likes

Thank you Anna!! I like your post very much, I have strong feelings that need words, that so far, I haven’t put together,. You offer a challenge that needs to be thought about…back later…

Well Jeanette, when I was younger I tended to think like you. I was self employed in the UK and for many years my policy was to not earn a lot so that I didn’t pay in a lot, and I kind of justified this approach by saying to myself, Well I don’t expect anything back - I have good health and rarely visit a doctor, I’ve never in my life claimed “benefits”, and I don’t want to be part of the system.

Over the years my views have changed, and in fact almost totally reversed. Could be simply the ageing process but actually, I think that moving to France, and getting used to paying contributions at a level that’s eyewatering if you compare it to what I paid in the UK, has a lot to do with it. It’s a very odd thing but in the UK I rather resented paying my £26 a month or whatever it was self employment stamp, whereas here I don’t seem to mind paying many 1,000s of € in contributions, in fact I’m rather proud of it. Va savoir! and if you come up with a theory to explain that, please share it because it makes no sense to me, but that’s how I feel. Maybe it’s simply that when you do pay in a sizeable chunk of your income, you are more inclined to stop to think about what it’s for, and you realise that actually, that’s what society should be all about. Despite what Maggie T said.

2 Likes

Referring to @anon78757855’ several posts, @anon27586881 commented “… you are more inclined to stop to think about what it’s for, and you realise that actually, that’s what society should be all about…”

I agree very strongly with this comment which reflects your own and Jeanette’s compelling and refreshing worldview. I find Jeanette’s shared reflections on her conscience as powerful and as eloquent as the works of French philosopher and author Albert Camus, which I read as a young man and will never forget.

You write in the same tradition, Jeanette, and with the same poignant artistic voice. IMO :grinning:!

I am a cosseted UK pensioner myself and find it hard to reconcile my largely unquestioning acceptance of my disproportionate bounty with my ‘progressive’ and egalitarian world-view, except by a shrug of the shoulders while muttering “well, others do it…” and “I didn’t invent the system” and other rationalisations.

But if we could have a “proper discussion”, in language like that of your own comments, and in good faith, where might that dialogue lead us, and away from what bleak future for our children, and their own children?

1 Like

Because the Gillet Jaunes haven’t injured a single police officer have they ?

Actually Jeanette…

I find your post offensive, speaking thus about our French Police Force/Security Force… (whichever section).

please amend or remove your comment.

4 Likes

I’m sorry you are offended, Stella, I will be very glad to remove/amend my comment, if you can offer information that demonstrates lack of truth in my comment. At present, apart from my own local experience, which is so far, of peaceful interaction from all involved, I rely on media information, and would be pleased to have more reliable sources, … but I do not believe that the “non lethal” weapons carried by many officers, are in fact, non lethal, and there is strong evidence to demonstrate the dangers of indiscriminate use. Including horrible injury reports.

I too am offended and have flagged your post as being inappropriate.

To my knowledge the French police do not go round indiscrimitly blowing hands and feet off GJ’s or any other protestors !

2 Likes

Nellie, I know there have been injuries caused by people taking part in these demonstrations, Gilets Jaunes, and police officers. Each of us might do what we can to protect/uphold, peaceful law and order, whatever convictions we hold. For my part, I feel the weapons issued are almost sure to cause very serious injuries, and should be withdrawn.

Anne, have you read reports of injuries caused?

I haven’t Jeanette so please provide links to them. I’ll then provide you with links to the facts about police officers and pompiers killed or injured during the recent protests. Always best to have a balanced view don’t you think? Anyway - If I were you I’d donate my pension to the collections currently in place for their families.

Just one more thing Jeanette - who will you call on when you need emergency help? I’m guessing it would never be the police…it couldn’t be…could it?

3 Likes

Simon says it so much better than I could !

1 Like

Jeanette…

Please edit or amend your post, as per my previous request.

2 Likes

As I have said elsewhere @anon87147852 people love to criticise the police but they would still expect the police to be there if they need them. Also Jeanette do you really expect the police to go up against aggressive , violent even murderous people with minimal weaponry?
If it bothers you come back to the UK where officers regularly patrol with the equivalent of a stick of wood and a hairspray. I am sure that the people confronted on Tulse Hill station by the machete wielding male the other night were pretty grateful those police officers had taser to hand. All the comments I have read have been complementary to and highly praising of the bobbys on scene,not complaining about them using force

2 Likes

I’m thinking too much Harvey’s Bristol Cream…:yum::yum::yum:

Sorry, people, my comment about violence has been taken down and I will not oblige you to read any more of my opinion in the that matter. With regard to your post, Simon, the most important issue for me is that those with sufficient influence resolve troubling issues, that affect everyone, without bias for any group. Which is not unlike your own preference for “a balanced view”, however if that means I am to place blind faith in the good character of any individual or any group, government or otherwise,…well… …NO… thank you.! I “expect” nothing from anyone. but I ‘hope’ for the best outcome .
My experience of French police so far, in 25 years living here, is that for me, they have always been kindness itself. And most certainly…any time in the future I need their help, I would not hesitate to ask for it. That is no guarantee that police everywhere, and police action in all circumstances, must always be trusted. I do not know, for example, to what extent they choose their own weapons, and those issued at present, and the outcomes I read about, reminded me of the Brit army action in Northern Ireland and the efforts to stop the use of their “non lethal” weapons …rubber bullets etc, that the UN attempted, unsuccessfully, to ban from use in that situation.
Should the events of that time, have any effect whatsoever on my support or lack of it for Brit soldiers themselves, managing the “troubles”?