Britain at its best…

That’s probably because you’re not a woman John and haven’t experienced the rudeness and chauvinistic attitudes of some French men.

1 Like

May well be.

We’d had a lovely lunch and passed a few friendly comments with the couple at the next table. OH paid, got up, fetched my coat off the hook, held it open for me and gently eased it onto my shoulders…
The lady at the next table smiled at me and dug her husband in the ribs and said (more or less) “why don’t you behave like that…”
I gave her a big grin and a cheerful … au revoir…
OH went and held the door open for me…
Outside, we walked past the window arm-in-arm … and the lady gave me an enthusiastic “thumbs up”.
and I felt ridiculously pleased… :wink: :rofl:

4 Likes

It’s all in the training Stella.

3 Likes

Got to start 'em young though… so it comes as second nature.
I’ve a lot to thank his Mum for…

3 Likes

:eyes:

2 Likes

I think you’ll find a lot of women miss them in England as well.

Hardly a French monopoly.

There are tosspots everywhere.

4 Likes

I so agree. And in fact as a 75 year-old, I find that Frenchmen are much more attentive. For most Englishmen, I am invisible and have been so for years. Frenchmen on the other hand still have a twinkle in their eyes and I am looked at. Which I find very appealing. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

After trying disappointing local coiffeurs, I now always go to Jean Louis David. You can make an appt online and all the stylists are competent. They don’t treat me like an old woman ! And I don’t leave with my totally straight white hair so vandalised that people address me as Monsieur - comme c’est déprimant ! I’m very pleased with the latest cut that transformed my self -hacked Covid mop into a proper hairstyle.

PS Not sure this has landed in the right thread… but never mind.

6 Likes

Ah Sue, in the UK if as a man you’re seen to ‘notice’ a woman now it causes all manner of trouble, with accusations of sexual harassment, privilege and abuse of power. As a male, honestly it sometimes feels like the only place you can look is the ground. :worried:

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m in France! When you are here you will be able to practise a twinkle - the twinkle is very important. And it’s also important to practise on women of all ages and however they look. This has nothing to do with sexual harassment and everything to do with delight that there are men and women in this world. Not least you will get a twinkle back.
I’ve just realised I actually remember these moments and treasure them. The first time I was really aware of being “twinkled” was by the elderly father of the guys who were installing the windows in the cottage - we’re going back 14 years! I also was given a full-on charming gaze (no smile, and certainly no leer) from a middle-aged man in the queue at Leclerc - I swear I completely fell in love with him in that moment.
By the way, this is not to say that Frenchmen are not totally chauvinistic. But I’ve given up worrying - I let go of that fight many years ago. I know I am capable and competent and I don’t need to have to keep reproving it with every man I meet. So when necessary I wheel out OH and let the conversation take place with him and then I sort it. :slight_smile:
What I cannot abide is the British guys who have been here two minutes who feel they have the right to hurl themselves at every woman in sight and kiss them on both cheeks - UGH!

1 Like

It depends on what you mean by noticing doesn’t it. Staring at someone’s tits may or may not be appreciated, for example.

4 Likes

How is a man supposed to know if it’s ok or not ?

1 Like

Easy - what are you thinking as you “notice” a woman. And as @vero says - what are you noticing.

2 Likes

A) notice someone’s tits, admire to yourself, owner of tits doesn’t see you peering. Talk to OOT saying what a lovely day/do you like rugby/ isn’t the old town pretty/ whatever (but not to do with the tits).

B) notice someone’s tits, have a good stare possibly while saying Hur Hur don’t get many of those to the pound and nudging friend. Talk to the OOT while not looking at their face but at their tits standing too close and make some personal remark.

Which do you think will be deemed ok?

3 Likes

Don’t really know or care Vero, I’m more a bum man myself.

I can look at a bum and not be accused of staring.

1 Like

Luckily nobody really has eyes in the back of their head so you’re fine :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

True Vero, but sometimes my gasps of admiration with the words ‘corr, look at the arse on that !’ sometimes offends.

5 Likes

Perhaps it’s best not to say anything if you have any doubts

I often wonder what men would think if random women walked up to them and said “You’ve got a small /big willie haven’t you. “
“Nice arse but your jeans are too tight “

2 Likes

Is the person more than a decade different to your age, that’s always a good starter I find. It’s clearly not a hard and fast rule, but I always find it sets in context any further questions you may ask yourself when deciding.

1 Like