Britain Bullshit

Well lock-down is not yet a proposition in Australia because of the monumental impact on the economy…our govt. is terrified of making this call. That said, it might change over the weekend…

The reality is, you cannot ‘stop’ the virus, it will continue, what is good news is that it has mutated and when this happens it is a weaker version of itself (source virologist colleagues) and we are seeing a lot more asymptomatic cases in OZ - mild cold symptoms. The other good news is the experimental vaccine trials in the US and here in Australia are having very good results. We have to rely on this virus running out of momentum whilst we wait for a vaccine.

Managing stress is key to keeping your immune system in fighting form, I have flattened my own fear curve and am focusing on keeping healthy, I don’t have the energy to live in fear…
take care everyone

3 Likes

A popular local bar restaurant in our town advertised a take away service after the order to close was implemented, but within 24 hours reported that they had been told that preparing and serving take-away meals did not fall within any ‘authorised’ category of permitted business, and was against the law.

And you don’t have to live in fear. But I suggest you ought, perhaps, take note of fear that arises in the face of an unknown and unfathomable threat to your survival, over which you have very little or no control, and cannot recognise because it is invisible, silent and impalpable by your senses.

Don’t be overtaken by foolhardiness. Be safe, not sorry.

The reason that certain premises have been ‘asked’ or ‘told’ to close in the UK, rather than being ‘ordered’ to do so is that the 329 page Coronavirus Bill has yet to be passed into law by Parliament.
Therefore, at present, the government simply does not have the legal power to order anyone to do anything.
The Bill is expected to begin its passage into law next week, but will of course be subject to the usual process of amendment during the various stages of that procedure.

For those that like a good read the proposed legislation is to be found here: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-01/0122/20122.pdf

It is interesting to note that there is no provision for people who are not reasonably suspected of being infectious to be prevented from leaving their homes.

3 Likes

I agree whole hearted with this Mike. France appears calm, shelves not empty, fresh provisions available and above all the local people near me polite, unhurried, relaxed and getting on with life at the moment.

He looks ill…and his hair hasn’t seen anything remotely close to a comb or brush at all…

2 Likes

Australia has one huge advantage, it’s summer there and the health service there is not undergoing its busiest season. Steps have been taken in the northern hemisphere to delay the peak, to move it as far into the summer as possible.

Too simplistic. As you have seen recently the British government has access to a number of powers to use in extreme circumstances.

1 Like

I must admit to having trouble comprehending how the truth can be too simple.

The proposed legislation provides for the Government to have powers which they currently do not have, which is why the legislation is being presented to Parliament. The Coronavirus Bill is the legislation that will give the power to order businesses to close, and which will also authorise the lawful detention, testing, and quarantine of suspected infectious persons.

It may also interest readers to know that the Bill will remain in force for two years from the date of Royal Assent, and that anyone (regardless of citizenship or nationality) arriving in the UK from an infected area (such as France currently is), will be classified as a suspected infectious person and will therefore be liable to mandatory testing and detention for that purpose, followed by mandatory quarantine following a positive test result.
Schedule 20 of the proposed Bill contains the relevant provisions.

To me this is where things get confusing, our local fish and chips van initially closed but re-opened after getting permission in writing from the Prefecture, how is that any different from what your local bar was doing?

1 Like

But then it never did!

Not an expert on the finer points of British politics, but it seems they can go to war at the drop of a hat - US president permitting.
So is it easier to kill foreigners than to save the lives of your own people?

2 Likes

It’s incredible that the government is being so slow to take control. If war broke out and the UK was invaded, it would be all over before the goverment had passrd a war bill. Its emergencu procedures don’t seem fit for purpose.
France had législation in place in a flash.

3 Likes

I heard the same thing being said about Trump on The World Service, still no leaders in UK or USA.

1 Like

You only have to look back to last Autumn to see the strokes pulled in order to Get Brexit Done to see that the means are there if needed. I really hope that that our retired policeman wasn’t as laid back about criminal behaviour when he was working as he is about confinement to slow down the spread of a Pandemic. He has criticised Mr Macron’s prompt action and is now trying to justify Mr Johnson’s inaction. Good stuff Robert, let it spread.

3 Likes

I’m surprised he hasn’t put it on the side of a bus yet

I haven’t noticed any difference in BJ’s hair at all so far.
Perhaps |I will when it starts falling out.

1 Like

Yes true, our autumn has kicked in and we are yet to see the impact of the seasonal change, lockdown is coming…
Lots of sewing projects and other things to keep busy with!

1 Like

Well, after many years in senior management, I fully subscribe to the existence of the Peter Principle and no-show blojo is a prime candidate.

The Peter principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their “level of incompetence”

and that is where Johnson currently stands… He surrounds himself with people even less competent than he is in order to make him look “superior”.
Observe that he has now taken to wearing black suits in an attempt to enhance his “presence and authority”.
The cretin Cummings on the other hand continues to dress like the slob he is,

7 Likes

Could still get a little bit worse, unbelievably :thinking: