British citizen wishing to escape to France

The Government has said that it will abolish the Erasmus scheme.
How you can pretend to retain links with Europe and want to stop student exchanges is totally beyond me.


I don’t think they are even pretending are they?

Javid was reported as telling business (when the Tories can even be bothered to talk to business) that there will be no alignment.

There is the slimmest of chances that Trump will not be returned to office later this year - I wonder what will happen to his protégé in that case.

Not actually correct >>

That is not what I heard, but ;let’s hope that they do and it is not a load of waffle.

1 Like

You are a gem! You have just answered my number one question in one beautifully succinct sentence. We are currently getting quotes for removal. Exciting times ahead!

1 Like

Hi everyone, do any of you own and run as businesses some gites or B and B? I thought that maybe owning property and providing a service would be a reasonable way of showing my intention to live in France and integrating with French life, also a good way to improve my French. I believe anyone can own property in France and I assume I would apply for the long stay Visa, thinking about trying to get this sorted before the end of the transition period. When do UK citizens have to register by for the French equivalent of settled status, i believe the UK is July
Thank you

You are sounding confused again. Anyone may be able to own a house in France but there are rules about working that will change with Brexit. You are talking about getting recognised as a resident but also talk about long stay visas. The two things are not compatible.

As Dan says, you are confusing two different situations.
After the transition period, as a non EU citizen you need to apply for a visa and you would not be granted a visa to come to France and set up a BandB.
During the transition period you have freedom of movement. To correctly exercise freedom of movement as a worker you need to run a viable business. To correctly exercise freedom of movement as an inactif you simply need to meet the income threshold such that you are not likely to become a burden on the state. I think you said you have private income, and if that’s the case, the surest and simplest way to ensure you are allowed to stay in France after Brexit, assuming the WA is ratified, is to settle here prior to September 2020 and make sure you have your paperwork in order - apply to join the French healthcare service and make sure you have health insurance in place until your affiliation is complete, if you rent a property make sure it’s a legal rental with a contract you can show to the authorities, etc.
There are no brownie points for setting up a BandB. France already has too many Brits saturating that particular market.

Yes we own our own business with two rental properties. Makes no difference whatsoever to rules on residency. Might help if after having been resident for 5 years you wish to apply for nationality.

You are getting things a bit mixed up. For the next two weeks UK nationals are europeans, and if the withdrawal agreement gets passed then until the end on December people can move here as they can currently under freedom of movement rules. If you are then able to meet residence rules and show you have been here legally then you can apply for a residency permit.

Long stay visas for UK nationals do not exist yet as they are for non-europeans. And we are not yet non-europeans!

You have two choices.
1: Move to France before the 31st December 2020 and become a full french resident, visiting the UK for only short periods (there are set maximums depending on the ties you have with the UK).

2: Or carry on as you are now and accept that after December 2020 you will only be able to visit 90 days in 180, or will have to apply for long stay visas. Which have their own requirements. Do be aware that if you have repeated visas you may end up being considered as resident and the tax authorities will want to know more. Plus healthcare costs will have to be covered.

Brexit means Brexit…

I don’t follow you there.
Surely it does , in that if you run a business you are a worker, and the residency rules for workers and inactifs are different.

Getting a job in Art History is difficult enough for French students having done an Art History qualification - most of the ones I knew ended up spending years moving around the country between museums on voluntary placements before either doing something completely different, or being lucky enough to be offered a job.


In practice I think this is “move to France before the 1st of October” so as to be “established” in France by the end of transition.

The problem is that 90% of people who voted leave still have no clue what it means and what is about to hit them.

Could you be more specific about this?
Are you perchance thinking of the UK’s statutory residence tests? France doesn’t have anything equivalent to that.

Re question on businesses, it depends on the structure of the business. Ours is a Societé de Fait so we don’t qualify as workers/working.

And I was referring to the UK tests. If someone moves to France but still retains ties with the UK, like a home and family etc, then depending on how many days they spend in the UK the UK could decide they were tax resident. I know France doesn’t have the equivalent, but people need to be aware that its not just as simple as spending less than 183 days in one country or another.

OK I see, fair enough. But maybe a bit misleading in this context to say that you own a business, if it is in fact not a “business” in the legal sense…

Then what is it? It earns the money to pay our bills, and is certainly not a hobby! We have an accountant, siret number, do profit and loss accounts, pay cotisations foncières d’enterprises…

Yes I realise that, I’m not saying your business isn’t a business :grin: I was just saying “in this context”, i.e. saying you are business owners could be misleading in the specific context of FoM/residency status. I imagine that technically you’re classed as inactifs with “non professional” income? Whereas anyone reading “we own a business” would automatically think “Business owner=worker”.
I guess the option is open to you to register it under a business structure that would give you worker status, if you wanted?

Not relevant to us, we have permanent cards which allow the right to work. It was OP who asked the question “do any of you own and run as businesses some gites or B and B?” So I was using business in that sense, which unless you set up as AE (which may be harder after transition anyway?) would not open door to being a worker.

I don’t think the people who voted remain have any idea either, we just know we’ve been screwed. Sorry I’m getting my wires crossed, I’ve been reading the French Gov. Website about Brexit and appear to have interpreted some information incorrectly.
Reference running gites I was thinking about buying something already established rather than starting from scratch:

  1. because I understand that B and B in particular is over subscribed and possibly British owned gites. I have a small holiday let in North Devon, so have a little bit of experience.
  2. I’d like my money to do some work.
  3. I like to be busy.
  4. It’ll help with language

At present these are just ideas which need exploring as it appears I need to get a move on!
Thank you everyone.

Caroline, if you have a secure regular income, there is absolutely nothing stopping you making the move. You can sort the rest out later :grinning:
Buying an existing business sounds a good idea but don’t rush into it. Why not rent for the first year or so?