British driving license exchange/ ANTS website

for anyone who doesn’t want to use Fb this is the latest announcement on the Applying for a French Driving License page

" The exchange of a UK or NI licence is still currently the same criteria until the end of the year, please read document A1 and A2 in the Announcements section if you don’t already know what the criteria is. If you do not currently have the required 185 days “normal residence”, you will be rejected so do not try and apply.

A UK or NI will not be made invalid from 01/01/2021.

However, it will now be compulsory to exchange your licence from 01/01/2021 but you have until 31/12/2021 to have made your application.

There is no specific timeline for how long an exchange takes and it will depend on the numbers that apply.

.The British Embassy and CERT have asked that you do not all try and apply at once as you have the whole year to action this, otherwise the same will happen as did in 2018.

We broke the system and no one won, it took 2-3 years to exchange a licence, so please consider if you need to apply right now.

IDP’s are not required to drive in France after 01/01/2021.

Clearly the person who set up a useful info service decided that FB was her easiest/best/ most reaching option. I fully understand your hatred of Mr Zuckerberg’s monster but you could set up a fairly fictional FB account (using an email address dedicated solely for that purpose), look at/interact with the info for as long as you need to, then simply close the account & associated email address down afterwards. You don’t need to get involved in any of the shadier aspects of a “big tech money making machine” if you don’t want to.
A phrase involving “to spite your face(book)” comes to mind…

2 Likes

Poppy, Thanks thats interesting confirmation that licences can be done during 2021…do you have a link to that specific page ?

Ok, but I won’t use Facebook…or some other social media sites as i believe they are at the root of much evil/badness in the world. And I’m no tech’ dinosaur having been an IT project manager.
So I just wondered if you had a link to maybe the (French ?) Directives or announcements.

isn’t this outlined on the French government sites… ???

they give info about life after Brexit… for us in France… or have I been dreaming… ???

Different sites often conflict as updating often doesn’t carry across to other (prior) statements.

I’d believe what the French gov say… as I live here…

So you are asking for links to French directives or announcements as you don’t like social media but when the official French government websites are suggested you don’t like them either. As an IT guru I’m surprised you can’t find something that makes you happy yourself! What do you want?

Quite happy with official sites …just making the observation that some sites (often those referencing back to official sites) don’t always get updated so can carry out of date info. Unfortunately some SM just carry gossip and supposition…but of course not SF!

Out of interest how long is it currently taking to exchange a UK license to a French one? Anyone completed the process recently?

I’ve a pal who’s panicking… been waiting 2 months now…

why panicking…we don’t have to do have done them till 31/12/21, and surely if one has proof you have applied then you can’t be blamed if it is taking a long time

She’s panicking… I’ve told her just what you are saying… she’s got proof she’s in the system, she’s just not sure if it is lost in the post… or just not been sent yet… and she can’t get any reply from ANTS.

I’ve told her it will be alright… but these are stressful times for everyone … one way or another.

I applied at the end of June! Two weeks ago they asked for more information, two of which they already had, hey ho there is a pandemic :worried: I’m confident the licence will arrive one day, no point in worrying :smiley:

1 Like

I applied in January 2020. Came back in March ‘we are now all online’. Sent second on line application and told in July it was not the correct section. Sent another in July, acknowledged but nothing since.
I’ve email them several times for an update but you only get an ‘automated’ reply which says nothing.
UK license now expired, OH ill & cannot drive.
If anyone has helpful suggestions would be most grateful.
regards T.

Just keep a copy of your confirmation, to show you have applied. Relax.

Many thanks. It was that I saw (somewhere) on the Ants site that if your ‘foreign’ license had expired you were not allowed to drive??
regards T

It was my understanding that all UK Driving licenses expiring between Feb and Dec 2020 were being automatically extended for 11 months from the date of expiry due to Covid, so assuming your situation fits that situation (which of course it may not) you will have a valid licence. Quite how you’d explain to the gendarmes in that situation “Ignore what it says, I’m actually legal guv” sounds like an interesting one to me, perhaps a copy and translation from the gov.U.K. website or such might work.

You may already know all this so apologies if you do, but this seems to have been incredibly badly communicated to the public on the whole so I think it’s worth saying anyway.

1 Like

Hi Kirstea
Many thanks for that! I hadn’t see it at all, so one less thing to worry about.
Much appreciated!
Regards B.

1 Like