British Embassy Outreach event

By the way, @JaneJones , they promised us an email with all the links in for Friday morning. I certainly didn’t get one - did you?

Nope! But it’s Saturday so maybe next week.

The summary email has arrived. Not absolutely sure how useful it is but here we are…

Voisin Voices, our newsletter for UK Nationals in France, is also back! We will besending it monthly with the latest news about what you need to know and do after the end of the Transition Period on 31/12/20, and share it widely with friends and family!

Voisins Voices Newsletter

Please find below the slides that we shared last night and some useful links. You will have heard us encourage you also to consult and register for updates on our Living in France Guide .

Thank you once again for joining us on Thursday. Our next event is on Tuesday 13 April and we will also shortly be publishing dates for other future online meetings; if you found it useful, do encourage others to sign up!

The British Embassy Paris team

Useful Links

If you have questions about applying for residency, including what support is available

Check out our Top Ten Questions on residency

Read our residency myths

Not sure how to register for healthcare? Watch our video!

There’s a separate video if you’re an S1 holder

• Residency under the Withdrawal Agreement and tax residency are not necessarily the same. Although the Embassy cannot advise on tax matters, information can be found here about residency for tax purposes

Find out about wider tax and VAT questions here

Slides

1 Like

No mention of when the last helicopter’s leaving the roof of the Embassy.

Saigon-hubert-van-es

I copied the question panel - there is some useful stuff in here: All in all, a very good event, constrained by the number of questions that can be answered. Would be useful for us to see all the questions being asked…
announcement. Moderator. Thanks for attending tonight’s event. Please let us know how it went, or how we could improve by completing our Smart Survey: UK Nationals in the EU & EFTA States: Rights under the Withdrawal Agreement
Featured
My questions

6:21 PM

If you have questions about applying for residency, including what support is available, please see Living in France - GOV.UK.
Question from Maria
Maria
6:26 PM

Thank you so much for answering my questions, and for everything you are doing much appreciated.

6:29 PM

Residency under the Withdrawal Agreement and tax residency are not necessarily the same. Although the Embassy cannot advise on tax matters, information can be found here about residency for tax purposes: Particulier | impots.gouv.fr Find out about wider tax and VAT questions here: Living in France - GOV.UK Fiscalité-EN Redirecting...
Question from Andrew
Andrew
6:30 PM

DRIVING LICENSE - Is Claire collecting email addresses to send out a mass BCC email the moment there is a license break-through?
reply from Moderator
6:30 PM
We will share any updates on the Living in France Guide: Living in France - GOV.UK

6:40 PM

Do you need further advice on your rights or a way to resolve issues with public bodies in EU countries? The European Commission provides information on citizens’ rights in each EU country. You can also contact the SOLVIT centre in the EU country you are living in, and the European Ombudsman to submit a complaint. Get advice on your rights in an EU country or submit a complaint directly to public bodies in the EU country where you live, or seek redress through courts and tribunals. See more at Living in Europe
Question from Nicola Markham
Nicola Markham
6:43 PM

What is an A1 cert??
reply from Moderator
6:43 PM
It’s for posted workers and issued by HMRC.

6:44 PM

Here’s the link for EU advice on your rights in the country you live in and for complaints: UK nationals: living in the EU - Your Europe

6:46 PM

UK Gov Travel advice during coronavirus: Travel advice: coronavirus (COVID-19) - GOV.UK.

6:50 PM

If you need to raise a particular concern about a prefecture with the Embassy, you can let us know via our webform. We will flag any recurring issues with the French authorities: www.gov.uk/contact-consulate-paris

6:50 PM

Living in France Guide: Living in France - GOV.UK

6:51 PM

Our Facebook page: British Embassy Paris - Startseite | Facebook Follow us!

6:53 PM

Or if you prefer Twitter: https://twitter.com/UKinFrance (all UK gov in France topics) https://twitter.com/BritishinFrance (info for Brits)

6:56 PM

If you live in France and work in the UK, you do not need to contact HMRC if your circumstances have not changed – you will continue paying social security contributions (National Insurance contributions in the UK) as before. You do need to contact HMRC if your circumstances have changed, for example you have taken up a new job outside the UK or your country of residence has changed. Here’s the link: National Insurance for workers from the UK working in the EEA or Switzerland - GOV.UK

6:58 PM

Register on www.ameli.fr for healthcare

6:59 PM

Check out our Top Ten Questions on residency: Redirecting...
Question from julie watson
julie watson
7:09 PM

Thank you

7:27 PM

Regarding the 90-day rule, if you normally live in France, find out more here: Living in France - GOV.UK. If you are a visitor to France, you can find the latest on our Travel Advice: France travel advice - GOV.UK

7:27 PM

Thank you for all your questions. If we’ve not managed to answer your question this evening, please send it to us via our web form: www.gov.uk/contact-consulate-paris

7:28 PM

Thanks for attending tonight’s event. Please let us know how it went, or how we could improve by completing our Smart Survey: UK Nationals in the EU & EFTA States: Rights under the Withdrawal Agreement
Question from anonymous user
Anonymous
7:28 PM

Thank you particularly to Ellen and Emmeline for your clear, precise and compassionate responses. This is exactly the kind of advice that is desperately needed at present.
Ask a question

1 Like

There was another event tonight. A lot was pretty basic, but a few things I jotted down…

125,000 WARP applications to date.
The Préfectures are each dealing with applications in a way that suits them, so may be chronological, alphabetical or by type. As long as you have a receipt for your application all is fine.

Please do not chase up applications. This is just slowing up the process for others (ministry of interior spokesperson sounded slightly exasperated at this point!). But do check your spam regularly, as they will not chase up emails sent out. And if you are asked for anything please reply quickly.

If your application is refused you can appeal in two ways - either an administrative appeal to the ministry of the interior, or a contentious appeal to a court tribunal. You can do both in parallel.

There is currently a 10 WEEK DELAY in renewing UK passports. So if you have yet to apply for your WARP and need to renew do so on old passport, and update later.

Driving license debacle. Driving licences weren’t included in overall EU-UK agreement but, like so many other things, left for individual agreements with the 27 countries. Unfortunately France chose not to start any negotiation until the agreement was signed on 24/12/20. Hence current mess. But lots of positive noises that it is close to resolution and is unlikely to require people within scope of withdrawal agreement to be retested.

She wasn’t able to say anything about ANTs processing times. :scream_cat:

Said again the officially France consider a licence to be expired when the photo card expires (4b) and this is a fineable offence.

A mention, again, that the UK gov’t cannot influence UK financial institutions’ commercial decisions to stop providing bank account, mortgages or other financial products to non-UK residents.

Re healthcare, reiterated that you can get a covid vaccination on proof of identity, don’t need carte vitale or SS number. Same with PCR test but you might have to pay.

In applying for WARP you need to provide information on healthcare. If you have applied to CPAM but not yet received your carte vitale of permanent SS number you must show proof of this (presumably means the paper attestation? Or something else?). You can make comments in the observation box. General impression was that they were suggesting you get private healthcare to be sure if not yet got carte vitale.

Some CPAM offices do not have capacity to deal with documents in English and will ask for translations, others won’t.

They are obviously conscious of the applications that are skating on thin ice. It is up to each individual to assess their situation, and the expectation is that people will respect good faith… (Hmmm I think not…)

For the very few people who had existing residency rights in France such as a previous permanent EU cate de séjour, but had then left France and were now applying for a CdS. These application would be dealt with on a case by case basis as a question would be why they weren’t in France on or before 31/12/20.

Online condolence book for HRH
https://www.royal.uk/condolence

4 Likes

Thanks JaneJ

I listened in for the first time and found it quite useful…despite clunky technology. I was surprised little was said other than the above on financial discussions, particularly as a memorandum of undersanding was agreed about three weeks ago that comits both sides to explore how uk financial institutions can work in EU and vice versa. Quote from FT report :

“EU officials have been clear that the memorandum is a necessary step before the bloc can consider taking further so-called “equivalence decisions” allowing UK-based investment firms, trading platforms and other financial companies to serve European customers.”

Hopefully might impact positively on bank accounts and restoration of ability to get advice from UK firms.

Morning Jane

On driving licences, did you pick up the inference that existing applications in the ANTS system were not being processed.

Or did I imagine it

Andy

I got same impression.

She was pretty honest in saying she didn’t know for sure! I can’t remember her exact words but was along the lines that previously she was aware that licences in the system were being processed slowly, but now had no idea whether they were or weren’t and system seems to have slowed/ground to a halt.

Thanks for summarising that for us @JaneJones I completely forgot about it, otherwise I’d have been there too. Sounds like it was much the same as the last one but with possibly more hesitancy about driving licences :thinking:

I didn’t get that impression at all, her words were v positive and that she thought it was all but a done deal, final i dotting and t crossing with no nasty issues…
She said she couldn’t say what was happening to applications already in the system, whether they were slowly being processed or not, and they were hoping that there would be prioritisation of urgent ones for people who’s uk had expired or about to expire but couldn’t at the moment confirm this.

I got three reminders emails!

The last Outreach meeting was more positive than that…

I forgot to sign up!

I would like to table a couple questions for the May meeting…anybody know how to do this…?

They have a facebook q&a session every week or so.

For the online events you can write questions at the start, but I have never had one of mine answered…

…what if you don’t/won’t use Facebook?

You write a letter and put it in the post?

1 Like

There is a contact form on the paris Embassy website as well.

Thanks, will do that, not sure if a letter would in the online world would cut through. I want to ask question about future banking and financial advice arrangements and whether people with licences expiring in next few months will be fast tracked…otherwise it will be shanks pony this autumn!