British mountain biker shot dead by French hunter

A Magnum 357 ! Well the hell did that come from ? 18 years old, a gun and drugs, one heck of a combination :frowning:

I am a supporter of our local chasseā€¦ who (thankfully) work with the public and not against themā€¦ :wink:

I heartily concurā€¦ that this sort of thing is way beyond the boundsā€¦

The police are dealing with the gunman involvedā€¦

A few years ago I obtained the French shooting licence. I enjoyed the training which has a emphasis on safety and ecology. Thereā€™s a practical elementā€“ clay pigeon shoots on the practice range ā€“and a theoretical one. ā€“ memorising the contents of a handbook of chasse (up to a thousand birds and mammals plus the shooting regulations ). This is tested by multiple choice questions. Safety measures are tested on the shooting range. I learnt a lot about the French countryside and its fauna. Youngsters would benefit a lot from this thorough training. I never made use of it myself. My dog does not like loud bangs!

Patrickā€¦ congratulations on obtaining your licenceā€¦but, you have left me wondering why you took part ā€¦:thinking:

I have a bird dog with a fantastic nose but it turns out he only likes silent hunting ā€¦no bangs.

Tim, Iā€™d say your experiences of a UK shoot in regard to alcohol were very different to mine. I grew up on a farm and used to go beating for the shoot. And pretty much every gun owner always turned up with a hip flask of whiskey. Then the wine flowed over lunch before the afternoon shoot, the beaters always set off in the afternoon with far more trepidation than the morning! And one year one did get pelleted from a stray gun from a less than sober shooter! My niece and sister still beat and it doesnā€™t sound like itā€™s much different now to that of my childhood experiences so I guess the UK is as patchy in its application of the rules as France is.

1 Like

The only difference is that wine is a lot cheaper here Brian :wine_glass::relaxed:

Perfect :ok_hand: