Britline - Anyone used?

I just went by their website.
I use TransferWise for most things when I am in France, I have an account with Credit Agricole but very rarely use it.

Just opened my account from UK. All went very easily. Phone “Interview” on 28th sept. Receive RIB by email on 28th Transferred €250 to open a/c. Used account to pay a bill in France on 11th October. Returned paperwork initialled and signed on 5th October and just waiting for debit card. Fees for first year very low (special offer) Card €1, (€31 normally) €4.07a month (normally €8.14). Personal advisor English guy, been in France 4 years. Answers any queries promptly. Downloaded 2 apps, no problem so it all seems pretty similar to how I do my banking in UK. All by app or online.

28th Oct. Further to the above. Now have received Debit card, and changed my address on the RIB from UK to France. Everything has gone very smoothly and I do not have any criticism. I have already made electronic transfers by both online and by the app.

Bonne chance,

Peter

Hi, We use Britline and haven’t had any problems. As we are still based in Britain, we just use it to pay our bills . I use TransferWise to transfer funds as and when I need to, and because there’s a monthly charge for a debit card which I can’t justify for the amount of time we spend in France, especially at the moment, I use Revolut for cash withdrawals. Revolut is a free multi currency account which is useful for converting sterling to euros or other currencies for every day use

He says he’s identifying as a person at the moment, @Spardo :grin: I think he’s feeling cocky because he framed the sparrowhawk for the dead pigeon.

But thanks for that info, @Griffin36.

1 Like

:laughing: :laughing: At least it wasn’t Roger Rabbit then. :wink:

1 Like

If you are wanting your account to transfer money from sterling to Euros you will get terrible rates from a standard bank. I would recommend Revolut or Transferwise for better rates. You can open them on your phone and try them out before your move.

1 Like

We have had a britline account for 4 years now. They are briliant. They will give you help on almost any topic not just banking. We have our house insurance through them as well as our health insurance and car. We did shop arround, but thiers is by far the best. Our manager is Karen Donegan (she is Welsh) based in Cean (head office) nothing is too much trouble for her. Good luck with the move.

Yes I agree, don’t use a bank. We use HiFX which is recommended by Britline. Thier commission is very competative and they don’t have an aditional fixed sum which some others do.

Over the past month, I’ve compared HiFX and Transferwise rates.
Every time Transferwise has had the better exchange rate.
Additionally the transaction has been credited to my Britline account in seconds.

Yes - had only a good experience, so I’d recommend them.

Thanks for that. I’ll give them ago. thanks again.

Hi - please add your full real name as per our T&C before posting again - thanks!

1 Like

Nobody seems to be specific about the actual rates Hifex etc charge, I use Worldwide and they give me the interbank rate minus about 1 penny, and no other charges.

I have dealt with the same man on the phone for years and he started off at about 2pence and then gradually got better.

The money is in our French account first thing on the agreed settlement day.

Revolut charge the interbank rate exactly, no discounts from it - this saved us a fortune when we bought a house.

Perhaps I don’t know what/who Revolut is then. How do they make their money?

They are more than just transfers, more like a bank - you can subscribe to allow much bigger transfers and also leave some money in your “account” - presumably they invest it and make their money from that plus debit card charges to retailers.

Oh I see, thanks Mat, sounds like it is for bigger transactions than I normally do (about £5,000) and perhaps there is a minmum balance to maintain there?

Although it would save me £50 each time I wonder what disadvantages there would be in exchange.

There is no minimum. I often use it to send small amounts to the kids in UK of just a couple of pounds for whatever is owed.

Having Revolut & Britline I see as having best of both worlds.

I’ll have to check it out then, not Britline though, anything remotely connected to CA is not for me.

Have used Britline since 2007. Had our mortgage with them and now all but one insurance. Sometimes when I think they are expensive I will talk to someone with a different bank or insurance and hey ho not really and they speak English!