Brittany Spaniel In Need of a Good Home

I have posted this in the Languedoc-Roussillon group and also in the dogs group so I hope it is posted correctly.

I would like to ask if anyone has room for an aged, very gentle, friendly, Brittany Spaniel. He was 8 years old when he came to live with us and our Chihuahua but he really needs more time and space than we have to give. He was a chasse dog (a hunting dog) but after being thrown out of the house/garage for being too old, and for eating the prey (because the previous owners, well known in the village, didn’t feed him enough) he slept on our doorstep for 2 months and, although our house was too small, we eventually let him come in to sleep. Although not ideally suited to our house we have lived very happily with him for around one year now. He is very lovely, fantastic with kids, although not great with cats. It seems that our neighbours now have a problem with him as he makes some noise when we go to work. One neighbour has had a nice chat with us and explained they they (the Chihuahua and the Spaniel, although I think the Spaniel starts it off) howl when we are not in for a working day but one other neighbour has not even bothered to talk to us just written a note on our door stating that they will call the Gendarmes if we do not stop him howling. We live in the centre of a village without any outside space.

We do not have a lot of space and he needs more. I am sure that if he had a garden or more daytime company he would be very happy, in his element in fact. He adores walks and is extremely friendly but our house is just too small, without any outside space in the centre of a village and reluctantly I have to now see, if a bit of a long shot because of his age, if someone would be happy to take him on. He is so sweet and very loving. He doesn’t ask for much, just a bit of food and the odd cuddle now and again. Just a happy, carefree retirement really is all I would like to give him. He’s very healthy and happy just not so happy if we have to leave him.

When we just had the Chihuahua there weren’t any issues with howling or barking but now we have taken in the spaniel me misses us and seems to howl. All I want to give him is a good couple of years happy retirement after not having the greatest of lives with his previous owners. He is now 9 and just in need of a bed, some attention and a garden and I think he will be the happiest spaniel ever. It now means we have no option but to find another home for Titus. I will very much miss him and I have come to love him very much but I desperately do not want to take him to the SPA and I don’t see any other option. As an older dog I know he is not on the top of peoples wish list but he will give someone a few very happy years and satisfaction if they are happy to take him on.

He is microchipped and his number is 250269601046323

Thanks

Zoe

Well just to post a quick update…I know that Titus is a difficult dog to re-home, especially at his age, so we’ve been thinking along other lines to keep him happier and quieter for his and the neighbours sake. I have received the citronella collars and I have also booked him in for ‘the’ op next week. Hopefully all of this will help him be calmer and quieter. He is just the loveliest dogs and I really do hope this works.

I have also dealt with the neighbours directly and put a note in all the neighbours doors to firstly apologise for any noise and also to ask them to bear with us while we try to resolve the situation. We now have had a few different neighbours speak to us directly and it has restored my faith in them. When we didn’t know who wrote the note we thought that the whole neighbourhood hated us! They have told us that they didn’t put the note on the door and that the dogs are not too much of a problem any way. At least we also now know which neighbour it is via a process of elimination! Lets hope all of this works…

Neels got chopped very late in life - just before we took him on and he seems no different to any other castrated dog - and it stopped him chasing the cats. Although that could be down to the fact that chasing anything is a bit beyond him these days :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of your help with this guys, I really appreciate it. I went to the vet to see if they had any suggestions and they suggested citronella collars so I have bought 2 of those and I will see if those stop the barking in the meantime. Fingers crossed!

And Gina, yes I have been considering getting those bits chopped off but everyone says to me that at 9 years old, it’s too late. What do you think? Will it help him, even at his age?

Hi Zoe - have tweeted and also fb’d this on my page- feel free to also add it on the SF FB page - the more the merrier…

We took on a 14 year old breton spaniel nearly two years ago and love him to bits - they are really great dogs. Please lovely SFN people, lets find this lovely dog a home! Cxx

Zoe he looks wonderful. Thanks for all the extra info. I am sure that will help to rehome him. Right now it is our turn to find out if anyone can give this dog a home. Please everyone ask around and see what we can come up with. G.
PS His bits really need to come off as he is a bit of a wanderer he may be tempted to wander too far one day. But that is up to whoever will rehome him.

Hi Gina, Thanks for your reply. I don’t have many photos of him but I have attached one to this message. Its not a great picture though. He still does unfortunately still have his bits. I was considering having him chopped because our Chihuahua has had the chop but I don’t know if there are the same benefits at his age. When on a walk he loves being let off the lead and runs like the wind and does come back to me. He adores swimming in the Canal. When we first came to live with us he did run off sometimes but this has lessened over time and he doesnt do it anywhere near as much anymore. When he runs off, he goes for about half an hour and returns to our doorstep and waits to be let back in. I hope someone would be willing to at least give him a chance.

Hi Zoe thanks for posting here , we have quite a few members, who I am sure will ask around. Could you post a picture of him so we can see him as well. You say he is ex chasse , does he still run off ( most seem to ) and is he debugged so to speak and without his bits. Let us have as much info as you can. G.