Britty Internet Alternatives

We have been using Free for the past seven years. At first it was with ISDN before broadband became available. About a year ago we decided to cancel our FT line subscription and have everything provided by Free. We pay 29.99€ a month for unlimited broadband and telephone calls to 103 destinations (and to mobiles in North America). When we asked FT eleven years ago about broadband they laughed and said that if we chose to live with the cows (north Haute Vienne) it would be never!! We are more than happy with the service and cost - no need for Skype. I often chat to my sister on Vancouver Island for well over an hour and all free.

I know this discussion is old, but need help… please.

We are moving to Normandy in January and there is no ADSL at the property… How will I survive without facebook and Twitter? but that is beside the point… I am looking at satellite internet, but there is a minefield of information so any recommendation on a reliable service, from personal experience, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks… Diana

You can still watch internet tv on your p.c , personally I’ve bought an ariel and watch TF1-5 etc on numeric(if youve still got your uk tv buy a terrestrial decoder and use the peritel connection) and a dish with a numeric decoder to watch UK tv when I need it. The number of people I’ve met who curse wireless…

or just right click and use ‘translate with live search’? for us fuddies with XP

Glad to Help!!

Just taken a look, seems good. I have two of my own ADSL modems here, bought on eBay UK and have used them before here in France. I would still like a phone line as a back up so that won’t be a problem.

Thanks for the info, cheers!

The link I used was:-

http://maboutique-internet.orange.fr/residentiel/ALaCarte.aspx

Note you will still have to pay for a phone line.

The Modem you will have to find overhere, I got mine in the Orange boutique in Perigueux but they may be available on line thro orange or w.h.y, your GB modem will not work.

Ditch the livebox save €3 per month and buy a modem, ie Thompson speedtouch @€ c50 payback in 17 months!!!

Roger, I would love details on this. Have you got a link that gives details? I shall be moving end of next month and I could do with a service like that.

Cheers

bob

I used to have a live box, I think there are limitations with what you can do with WiFi

bob

I know its unfashionable to support Orange but I’ve just found a basic package with them @ €19 per month, No telly, No’free’ french telephone, we use VOIP, just ‘upto’ 8meg and it works!!

Hi Nick

Thanks for the input - I’ve just left you a comment as I seem to have failed to welcome you so apologies for that! Anyway can you make sure you add your surname next time you’re here - thanks! Best wishes Catharine

You might like to try www.wibox.fr. I have just switched to it and the speeds are as advertised , 2Mbs , which is useful.

Their customer service is not the best, but stick with it , as the technical solution is great for rural areas, Wimax - or wide area wireless broadband.

The web site is in French, so if you are not a French speaker I would recommend downloading and installing Google Chrome as it automagically translates the site on the fly for you.

Nick

Thanks Bob

Stuart,
I can guess it comes down to line of site and quality of reception.

Also,some towns are now offering WiMax, the wide area version of WiFi. It would be worth checking to see if that is available. It’s not where I live so no idea of costs but worth a look

bob

Sounds like good advice from Bob.
The satellite version is more for rural areas where other solutions are difficult. I checked compatibility for my area in Planioles out of curiosity and could not have the satellite version. Doesn’t make sense, but there you go.

Thanks for the invite James.

I noticed the suggestion of satellite, only consider this if ADSL is actually out of reach and there are no other ways of getting connected. It can be costly and requires good line of site.

Otherwise, you can use this link http://www.dslvalley.com/adsl/test-eligibilite-adsl.php to find out which ISP’s are available from your phone exchange.

Another service you might like to consider is http://www.uktelecom.uk.net/ as they do have English speaking tech support. Handy if your French is not up to scratch and find French ISP’s frustrating!

First thing to do is find out which ISP’s you can get and then compare costs and features.

Hope this helps…

Bob

That’s definitely worth looking into, I am keen to know what you find out. You will need two-way satellite service or you will have to retain a dial-up or broadband service for uploads. Bob Toovey probably knows more, I’ll ask him to join in the discussion.

I have a friend who uses Satellite dish for internet and phone. The operator is Alsatis?

Hi Roger
Do you have to pay line rental on top of the €19 per month?