Broken Dyson and coronavirus

Hi
Does anyone have experience of getting a Dyson vacuum cleaner fixed over here? (We’re in 61) Ours has conked out and I’m wondering if it’s worth trying to get it fixed (if that’s possible) before I look to replacing it.
Thanks
F

I have repaired a few dyson using YouTube - it is very easy.

1 Like

Mat’s advice is your best bet.
Any professional repairer is likely to charge you more than the price of a new conventional (paper bag) cleaner.
We have had a Dyson and I am not a fan. They are different, but they are no great improvement on the (Beats as it sweeps as it cleans) Hoovers of my childhood. The only real advance in vacuum cleaners has been the throw-away paper bag that Dyson has gone to great lengths to do away with.
In my opinion, the cleverest thing about Dysons is the advertising. And now that, having received his knighthood, the man has moved his business and money abroad, I can’t think of any good reason for a patriotic Brit to buy his products.
I forgot to mention the Hoover Constellation, a 60s icon. That just followed you around, floating on a cushion of air. A thing of beauty and a true innovation, but its fatal flaw was that you couldn’t use it on stairs!

My first… was the Hoover Junior Dirtsearcher… wonderful machine, lasted for years and years.

1 Like

Ditto

2 Likes

I always buy Miele. Decent long lasting engineering. I would not buy a Dyson product (or drink in a Wetherspoons Pub).

5 Likes

If anyone wants a cheap alternative, we have two (they are that cheap!) Titan hoovers - about 60€ from Bricodepot. Yes, they have bags but I find the suction better than my old Dyson - sold partly as a point of principle (and no, I’d never buy another for the same reason) and partly because it just wan’t that great.
The Titans are ideal renovating / pet hair hoovers and ok, the accessories are not as great as Dyson but for that price I can put up with it…

Things may have changed but Dyson were in the past very helpful and surprisingly cheap for repairs if you contact their customer helpline. That was a while ago and they’re a lot bigger than they were back then

1 Like

I have a Dyson DC23…a few years ago the motor died in a shower of sparks. I was just about to order a new one on Amazon when I noticed that the Dyson came with a 5 year guarantee. My Dyson was 4 years and 11 months old! I contacted Dyson customer service and after getting and submitting a duplicate invoice from Amazon they sent me a postage paid label and I sent off the main unit. 10 days layter it was back with a new motor. It is still going strong.

1 Like

IMO Dyson is a master marketeer (ie BS merchant), not a great engineer. Of course he’s a great Brexiteer too. Another load of BS.

6 Likes

I will ditto that

Regardless of his politics (and given almost all business are owned by Tories I’d never buy anything on that basis) - when they first came out Dysons were a big improvement on what was on the market - I remember the cat fluff it dragged out the carpets. 20 years on there are better products - but I’ve destroyed 2 and still quite like my Dyson. Partner hates it mind.

I never understood how he got away with the “Never loses suction” claim. Ours did - every time the filters got clogged with dust.
And emptying it was a nightmare - give me a throw-away paper bag every time.
And I seem to remember stuff getting stuck in the top of the machine because of the convoluted path it had to follow.
An unnecessarily complicated machine to do a simple job - not very well. . . . .

2 Likes

We have a Dyson DC04 (18 years) and a DC 14 (6 years) and also a Vorwerk Kobold (32 years) and all work perfectly.

Me too I actually took mine apart yesterday and it is easy as long as you have the right Toxx screwdrivers
Check out YouTube it’s very helpful

1 Like

Puts a new slant on the schoolboy expression “sucks like a Dyson” when referring to a new g/f :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Didn’t have Dysons back in the day, saying was “could suck start a Harley”

1 Like

Ridiculous looking things, over-engineered, useless - I’ve been stuck with two, an upright and a cylinder type. Both were dreadful. They didn’t suck, the upright was almost impossible to push across carpet, the plastic bits to remove to empty them stuck fast.

As for Dyson fans: It’s a world I cannot imaging, being able to afford and deciding to buy this.

Wifi enabled!

His 12" desk fan is £245. Note that the blade hand dryer is a monstrous price but the seller still wants £10.25 for p n p

We have 4 Dysons!

2 cylinders types which are OK but are mainly used for DIY.

We also have 2 stick rechargeable ones which I think are superb - being able to vacuum the whole house without cables is great - so portable up and down stairs etc.

DEpends what is wrong with it, but Youtube has lots of DIY repair videos.