Buche de ramonage

Has anyone ever used a Buche de Ramonage in their log burner and if so how well does it work?

Yes. And who knows???
These days we get in a chimney sweep.

I think it is complete nonsense, get a chimneysweep. The B de R might help unstick a bit of deposit but in no way replaces an actual sweeping.

3 Likes

We have a very complicated flue, with lots of bends, so our chimney sweep likes us to use a bûche in that stove as we finish using the stove in spring. He says it helps loosen the soot and make it better to sweep, and I guess he’d know.

However our insurance requires that we have our chimneys professionally swept once a year. It seems a small price to pay anyway to reduce the risk of a chimney fire.

2 Likes

Works very well, It will not clean completely on its own, but it is worth putting one before cleaning with brushes. We have a 10 m. chimney; on a 5 metre it probably would work on its own. Beware of chimney sweeps without a recommendation of someone you know.

1 Like

It is not nonsense. The fumes from the burning chemicals convert any tar deposits into solid matter which can then be removed by sweeping.
They are not meant to be a way to avoid a proper sweep…

Oh good, because I have seen them advertised as exactly that!

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I will be calling a ramoneur tomorrow as I get the feeling, having spoken to the previous occupants of our house, that our chimney has not been swept for some time.