Building a bridge over the channel

A bridge over thé channel Boris johnson new idéal.Wow wé havre thé new idéal i.e. sapent To décennie To build a tunnel nos FGS Sherer a re wé poing To Calais Dover OMG

Oops! I think your French keyboard has auto-corrected some of this. I’m afraid it’s not possible to understand what you’re saying.

1 Like

Does anyone understand BoJo?

Maybe M. Macron suggested building bridges at his meeting with Ms May (at which he was in attendance)) at which point he woke up with a start after a decent lunch of scampi and chips with copious amounts of local ale at Ms May’s local and thought… aha! bridges. I have a solution! I’m good on bridges…

3 Likes

The bridge idea was investigated and dismissed many years ago…

The reasoning then: Too many ships in the channel… and the ships are so big that the bridge would have to be very, very high… much too expensive…

I think Bojo has plaguerised one of “Baldrick’s cunning plans” … and we all know how great they were… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Yes you a re right sorry about that

2 Likes

It would be great though wouldn’t it? Just to be able to drive to the UK.

Good grief… not for me… it’s all I can do to manage the tunnel. I close my eyes, cross my fingers and try to relax… thank heavens it’s so quick…

Hardly.

Leaving a schengen zone (France) and entering a newly reformed brexit Europe free Britain, the tailbacks will reach back all of the 20odd miles of the bridge with lorries and customs checks. And when the wind blows (as it often does across the channel, with great force because of the venturi effect between the two land masses) the bridge will be closed (as the Q11 Bridge at Dartford often is because of wind and accidents) adding to driver’s woes.

Don’t forget the visa checks for non Europeans going the other way…

1 Like

OK, if we’re going to vote for silly project idea of the month I’d like a western tunnel - the Isle of White to the tip of the Normandy peninsula is “only” 98km - longer tunnels have been built!!

1 Like

That was said wistfully after all, it’s not going to happen is it? Practically speaking there would be all sorts of problems and not just the ones you suggested… how about which side of the road you would drive on?

1 Like

Aha Graham, methinks you have forgotten the most important thing … at what point during crossing this huge bridge do we change sides (as it were) ? :thinking: PS. Can just imagine a sketch with Danny Boon et al as with “Rien à déclarer”! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Noooo, not possible ! I would like a tunnel from here (central France) to the Mediterranean, no tolls, no lorries and no traffic jams ! :palm_tree::palm_tree: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Problem with Boris and his mindless projects is that it costs the tax payer a great deal of money. Evidence the massive cost of his vanity project the ‘garden’ bridge over the Thames which cost hundreds of thousands of pounds before any work even began on it! Sadiq Khan was right to dump it IMO.

1 Like

If there were to be a bridge it would probably be built at the shortest crossing point and the ecisting arrangements at Calais would continue.

From an engineering point of view, that might not be possible because of the chalk substructure of the channel bed. Also, the last thing wanted is to compromise the structure around the tunnel…

I’m sure that if it were possible to build a bridge, Isambard Kingdom Brunel would have done it :grin:

1 Like

Hi Graham

It actually cost in the region of £ 46 million without a brick being laid !

Andy

… and how much money will be wasted on a Commission… to look into the viability of a bridge (yet again) …:zipper_mouth_face:

Unless ships have got smaller and traffic in the channel has greatly reduced… I cannot see any Commission changing the decision made years ago…

Surely the money could be better spent on so many urgent things in UK…

1 Like

Given that his boredom threshold is quite low, is this his next proposition?

boris

1 Like

Yeah, like cancelling vanity projects like HS2 to fund the NHS

1 Like

Agree… priority should be … Need not Speed… :grin:

1 Like