Burgled!

We have lived in France for ten years, and for the first time since we moved here we had to leave the house 'un-occupied' for just a few weeks - and guess what - we were burgled! Is it my imagination, or are break-ins becoming more and more common? Our village hall was burgled and wiped out of everything, but in our case, they decided to just trash the place (I would say perhaps we had nothing worth stealing, but I think computer/plasma tv's usually do have some worth). Has anyone else had a similar experience recently?

Thanks Catharine, I'm sure it's on the increase in all areas, but I think it helped to have the dogs at our place and once they weren't there, it made us more of an easy target. We had a friend dropping by each day and the place was as secure as it could be, but the police do think it was someone local so that makes it feel worse that they were watching and waiting....

So sorry to hear that. Thankfully we haven't (yet) but, most of the houses nearby have been burgled and the school was burgled over Christmas. They took the TV which is in a separate room for the garderie kids to watch after they have done their homework and went in through the roof just to get the TV. So clearly some inside knowledge at work....

:(