Buying a new laptop

Sorry, I did not express myself very clearly. I meant that for the past 20 years my daughter has been providing me with second hand PCs (several).

Now that I am a grown-up I would like to do it myself without running back to England each time I have to load my e-mail program.

A 20 year-old pc ? Wow. Surely it now belongs to a museum ! That's what I call good value for money. Was it second-hand too ? :D

I'm no expert....but I found this place in Angouleme very useful and good value.....perhaps a little bit of a trek for you.

But reasonably local HERE

I had to change my PSU (power supply unit) and upgrade a graphics card and I was amazed by the service, attitude and price.

thanks for advices, I am going to look at Leclerc and our local computer shop, and if no joy I'll go to Amazon, biut I would rther have somebody local that can sort it out.

You could look on Amazon France for reconditioned .You can specify a UK keyboard if that's what you want. I just got a really good deal on a reconditioned Acer Switch which is tablet hybrid.It was returned to Amazon as the packaging was damaged they reconditioned it and sold it with a warranty. Worth a look anyway.

Hi Dominique,

I had a similar issue. I got my last laptop replacement from Morgan Computers, who were extremely helpful and shipped it to France without any problem. The issue was my £2500 hi-spec laptop had a faulty screen and various other problems. I replaced it with the same spec machine for £329 (a refurbished, second hand machine). I was also able to unplug the SSD from my old machine and plug it straight in to the replacement, so I didn't have to reinstall anything either.

Check them out: http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/