Buying a small shop - pitfalls?

Oh… that’s a shame :smiley:

A tea shop is very hard work and how many cups or pots of tea do you need to sell a day to make a living.

Done it.
Well mine was a deli and we made almost everything on site.
It was in Chiswick London and it was very busy with hundreds of cups
and things to wash. It was more tiring than operating the restaurant.PS

I think it was Tory who was thinking of a teashop, @barbara_deane1
I struggle to sort out food for myself and would be absolutely appalling at it :smiley:

I imagine your deli must have been exhausting - a young person’s job?

yes a young persons job
Sometimes the public are amusing
A well known actress came in and asked for 6 olives.
The kids would try to stick their paws on my ver special
fairy cakes…try.
Mummy was not bothered.

In a nutshell - there’s a small shop the landlord can’t rent in a town full of empty shops - your partner hates dealing with money and thinks retails will be fun… Can’t see a problem there …

Footfall is the only thing that matters - shops out of the centre will always struggle unless they sell something specific people don’t mind going out of their way for.

Work is never fun - running a shop may seem like fun - by the second month it’ll be a job - so unless you like standing for hours and dealing with people retail is not fun.

How much do you want to earn - and small sums may seem fine now - they don’t seem as fine at 7am on Saturday morning when you’ve another day at work

Set up costs - shop fittings - lights - fixing the electrics - sorting the floor - stock… it doesn’t come free

Work out margins - gross and net profit - once you understand those do the basic sums. AE works fine where there’s no costs - retail is all about money and margins

What do people locally need - tourism is fine but how many keyrings and towels do you need to sell to make a years living - equally people always say arts and crafts forgetting its a very “niche” middle class thing - a craft shop that works is lovely - but most are deserted and dusty - and Etsy gives crafters direct access without a shop taking its cut - and Amazon is barrelling into the space hard so give it a year and they’ll have that market covered.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comments @chrisell. Slightly inaccurate but then there are things about it I hadn’t explained so that’s not surprising. :smiley:
The landlord can let it easily - he’s been approached already - but since he lives a long way away and it’s really his father’s property (who is now very elderly indeed), he and siblings don’t want to keep it on.
The main reason for us wanting the property is because it secures my partner’s house behind it.
We could let it but were looking at doing something ourselves with it - the jury is still out though…

2 Likes

The humour break … Small Jewish boy asks his dad

“Dad, why did God create the goyim?”
“My son. Someone has to buy retail”

Anything in the catering biz is EXTREMELY hard work. Not to mention the food hygiene regimes.

Anything in retail can be, depending on what the products are, a nightmare of stock control and book keeping.

If this place is a real asset as far as the house is concerned " because it secures my partner’s house behind it.", let it out to someone who already has a business in mind and needs premises, rather than try to invent a business for yourselves because you happen to own the premises.

1 Like

We certainly wouldn’t even contemplate anything to do with food!

1 Like

A nightmare but I loved it
Not every one can be a caterer