Bye bye Boris

images-13

Oops sorry you didn’t mean that sort of pole :yum::grin:
(I even got the Boris connection) :laughing:

3 Likes

Has the UK Press got nothing better to write about?

It is quite a big thing when the PM is imminently going to be ousted.

While this is of considerable public interest, it’s also largely a press-generated issue, in that even though the rules were broken no-one was harmed, no money stolen or people wrongfully imprisoned. Had the press decided it was a non-story then all those people who are now deeply upset about never saying goodbye to dying loved ones would not be reliving their experience. I’ve read that the parties were well known to the press yet ignored until now - to me, that looks like shared responsibility.

But who will fire the newspapers when Boris goes?

This was a court judgment issued today declaring the issuing of 2 VIP Lane PPE contracts were illegal.

I would agree that this level of corruption is more important than the hosting of a party.

6 Likes

It’s naive to think that the current media feeding frenzy reflects anything but schism inside the Tory Party. The conservative propaganda machine that is most of the UK press, and the supine BBC, are licensed to criticise so vehemently now only because powerful factions in the Tory Party and the wider British Establishment want rid of Johnson - and the fact that they didn’t a few months ago is also the explanation for the absence of such a feeding frenzy over much more serious corruption.

4 Likes

The Tories are notorious for being ruthless once they have decided a leader must go, it didn’t serve them to dispatch Johnson last year but with Covid seemingly under control the pressure is being ramped up and they want him gone, still think we’re a few months away from a new PM though.

When you watched him closely today he knows he is on the way out, his ego must have been screaming today.

It was also mentioned that the contracts would have been awarded anyway - the unlawful part was fast-tracking their mates business.

And not using the procurement matrix

“powerful people want him gone”. As I say, the SIGs and their backers run the UK.

1 Like

Novak Djokavic perhaps ?

2 Likes

1 Like

The UK media (like that of most ‘western’ countries) is obsessed with celebrities and ‘personalities’.
(On the day scientists reported that all of the hottest 7 years ever recorded were the last 7 years, the BBC led on the Djokovic story.)

Real differences in ideology or economic interests hardly get a mention - it’s simply too risky for media funded by big-business advertising, and/or owned by big business billionaires, and/or funded by governments entwined with them, to focus on the real issues.

But Frost is the clue - he’s out there everyday - a ‘stalking horse’ spokesman - still putting forward the Britannia Unchained vision on behalf of the likes of Truss - brexit as merely one step in the extreme deregulation, privatisation, americanisation of the UK - which Johnson - they now believe - is not serious about (he’s not serious about anything - but is, I suspect, for all his faults, unwilling to see for example the NHS collapse entirely and US health multinationals ‘invest’ to pick up the pieces).

I don’t think there’s any doubt that the Tory machine and the media have ‘held back’ the various ‘party’ stories to suit their own agendas given that the latest scandal to surface occurred 20 months ago, this in itself is pretty appalling in my view but just shows once again how powerful the establishment and the media are.

Both left wing and right wing so called governments where elections are held under very dubious regulations, do not allow any reporting of opposition at all.

Well done Jolyon Maughan and me for a bit of financial support.

5 Likes

2 Likes